The Occasional Bitch: Toss the books and explore Miami

The Occasional Bitch
…because occasionally the bitch has something to say.Culture. Opinion. Fashion. Travel.

Travel:
Venturing off-campus only to party in South Beach or fly home for the holidays, students at UM don’t take advantage of their exciting surroundings. Break the mold and venture out into the area; you’ll be glad you did. If you’re looking for something to do on the weekends (or on the weekdays instead of class), check out these unique spots.

The Deering Estate at Cutler
Boasting beautiful landscaping and one-of-a-kind ocean views, this estate is a refreshing change from drab campus dorms. Go on a guided tour of the beautiful historic house, take a nature hike or canoe to the Chicken Key. Enrichment classes are also offered, ranging from ballroom dance, to interior design and even yoga.
16701 SW 72 Ave. Miami FL 33157
(305) 235-1668
Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
Admission: $10 (adults)

A view of the Venetian Pool's inviting waters. // Flickr.com

Historic Coral Gables Venetian Pool
Why tan by the humdrum pool at the UC when the gorgeous Venetian Pool is minutes away? Located near the Biltmore Hotel, the Venetian Pool is a tropical escape from the stresses of school. Take in the lush foliage, listen to the calming waterfall and soak up the sun at this Venice-inspired hotspot.
2701 De Soto Boulevard 
Coral Gables, FL 33134
(305) 460-5306
Hours: Monday – Friday: 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Admission: (non-resident) $10.50, (resident) $4.75

Coral Castle Museum

Stone thrones at the Coral Castle. // Flickr.com

Thrones at the Coral Castle. // Flickr.com

Remember building sandcastles as a kid at the beach? Well Edward Leedskalnin took your childhood games to the next level, single-handedly creating a castle entirely out of coral. Visit his enchanting abode, and while you’re at it get your fortune told by the card readers on the gift shop patio. This is undoubtedly a tourist trap, but is way too interesting to pass up.

28655 South Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33033
(305) 248-6345
Hours: Opens daily at 8 a.m.
Admission: $9.75 (adult)

<< Back to The Occasional Bitch archives

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...