The Occasional Bitch: Toss the books and explore Miami

The Occasional Bitch
…because occasionally the bitch has something to say.Culture. Opinion. Fashion. Travel.

Travel:
Venturing off-campus only to party in South Beach or fly home for the holidays, students at UM don’t take advantage of their exciting surroundings. Break the mold and venture out into the area; you’ll be glad you did. If you’re looking for something to do on the weekends (or on the weekdays instead of class), check out these unique spots.

The Deering Estate at Cutler
Boasting beautiful landscaping and one-of-a-kind ocean views, this estate is a refreshing change from drab campus dorms. Go on a guided tour of the beautiful historic house, take a nature hike or canoe to the Chicken Key. Enrichment classes are also offered, ranging from ballroom dance, to interior design and even yoga.
16701 SW 72 Ave. Miami FL 33157
(305) 235-1668
Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
Admission: $10 (adults)

A view of the Venetian Pool's inviting waters. // Flickr.com

Historic Coral Gables Venetian Pool
Why tan by the humdrum pool at the UC when the gorgeous Venetian Pool is minutes away? Located near the Biltmore Hotel, the Venetian Pool is a tropical escape from the stresses of school. Take in the lush foliage, listen to the calming waterfall and soak up the sun at this Venice-inspired hotspot.
2701 De Soto Boulevard 
Coral Gables, FL 33134
(305) 460-5306
Hours: Monday – Friday: 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Admission: (non-resident) $10.50, (resident) $4.75

Coral Castle Museum

Stone thrones at the Coral Castle. // Flickr.com

Thrones at the Coral Castle. // Flickr.com

Remember building sandcastles as a kid at the beach? Well Edward Leedskalnin took your childhood games to the next level, single-handedly creating a castle entirely out of coral. Visit his enchanting abode, and while you’re at it get your fortune told by the card readers on the gift shop patio. This is undoubtedly a tourist trap, but is way too interesting to pass up.

28655 South Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33033
(305) 248-6345
Hours: Opens daily at 8 a.m.
Admission: $9.75 (adult)

<< Back to The Occasional Bitch archives

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

Keep your computers and TVs going during the second night of the NFL Draft on April 27, as at least ...

University of Miami cornerback Michael Jackson loves that turnover chain, but not nearly as much as ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The 13th annual UM Family Night with the Miami Marlins lives up to its name. ...

It’s been a year and half since his wife of almost 52 years, Nancy T. Clasby, a pioneering English p ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will begin the final weekend of its regular season wi ...

Eight members of the University of Miami track and field team earned All-ACC Academic honors for the ...

The UMSHoF will hold their 50th Annual UMSHoF Induction Banquet on Thursday, April 19th at Jungle Is ...

Nine members of the University of Miami track and field team will represent the Hurricanes at the Vi ...

A pair of University of Miami divers were selected to the All-ACC Academic Women's Swimming ...