The Occasional Bitch: Toss the books and explore Miami

The Occasional Bitch
…because occasionally the bitch has something to say.Culture. Opinion. Fashion. Travel.

Travel:
Venturing off-campus only to party in South Beach or fly home for the holidays, students at UM don’t take advantage of their exciting surroundings. Break the mold and venture out into the area; you’ll be glad you did. If you’re looking for something to do on the weekends (or on the weekdays instead of class), check out these unique spots.

The Deering Estate at Cutler
Boasting beautiful landscaping and one-of-a-kind ocean views, this estate is a refreshing change from drab campus dorms. Go on a guided tour of the beautiful historic house, take a nature hike or canoe to the Chicken Key. Enrichment classes are also offered, ranging from ballroom dance, to interior design and even yoga.
16701 SW 72 Ave. Miami FL 33157
(305) 235-1668
Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily
Admission: $10 (adults)

A view of the Venetian Pool's inviting waters. // Flickr.com

Historic Coral Gables Venetian Pool
Why tan by the humdrum pool at the UC when the gorgeous Venetian Pool is minutes away? Located near the Biltmore Hotel, the Venetian Pool is a tropical escape from the stresses of school. Take in the lush foliage, listen to the calming waterfall and soak up the sun at this Venice-inspired hotspot.
2701 De Soto Boulevard 
Coral Gables, FL 33134
(305) 460-5306
Hours: Monday – Friday: 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Admission: (non-resident) $10.50, (resident) $4.75

Coral Castle Museum

Stone thrones at the Coral Castle. // Flickr.com

Thrones at the Coral Castle. // Flickr.com

Remember building sandcastles as a kid at the beach? Well Edward Leedskalnin took your childhood games to the next level, single-handedly creating a castle entirely out of coral. Visit his enchanting abode, and while you’re at it get your fortune told by the card readers on the gift shop patio. This is undoubtedly a tourist trap, but is way too interesting to pass up.

28655 South Dixie Highway
Miami, FL 33033
(305) 248-6345
Hours: Opens daily at 8 a.m.
Admission: $9.75 (adult)

<< Back to The Occasional Bitch archives

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...