Football

Canes storm past Cavaliers 52-17

Sophomore Thearon Collier runs down the sideline during his 60-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter of the game against Virginia.  Billy Gilbert // The Miami Hurricane

Sophomore Thearon Collier runs down the sideline during his 60-yard punt return for a touchdown in the second quarter of the game against Virginia. Billy Gilbert // The Miami Hurricane

Then-No. 16 Miami scored 28 unanswered points following a 24-17 halftime lead to defeat unranked Virginia 52-17 Saturday afternoon at Land Shark Stadium.

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris connected with 12 different receivers and threw for 232 yards and two touchdowns while junior running back Graig Cooper rushed for a career-high 152 yards and a touchdown.

Junior running back Damien Berry also scored two touchdowns for the Hurricanes (7-2, 4-2).

Sophomore Thearon Collier returned a punt 60 yards for a touchdown – his second of the season.

The Cavaliers (3-6, 2-3) were held to just 149 total yards of offense in Miami’s homecoming game.

With the victory the Canes moved up four spots in the ranking to No. 12.

UM travels to Chapel Hill to face North Carolina (6-3, 2-3) on Saturday.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...