Basketball

Five burning basketball questions

1)      Who is going to replace Jack McClinton?

The answer is no one. There will never be another McClinton, the greatest player in UM Baksetball history. He had a will to win and a knack for hitting shots in the clutch. This year will be much more of a team effort than just a one man show. This is a well rounded core and four players have the potential of averaging double figures in points.

2)      Will the real Dwayne Collins please stand up?

The story of Collins’ career has been consistently inconsistent. There was the game against Duke two years ago when he erupted for 26 points and 14 rebounds in the stunning upset. Then there were games in the ACC and NCAA Tournaments when he faded down the stretch. He withdrew from the NBA Draft last summer after realizing he has more to his game to work on.

3)      Will DeQuan Jones develop a jump shot?

Everyone is still marveling over Jones’ baseline reverse jam in the Dean Dome last year. It has over 1,600 youtube views. He can drive to the basket but can he connect from long range? Jones struggled mightily with his perimeter game last year as his field goal percentage was 33%. Jones must create space and open up the floor to maximize his explosive talents.

4)       Is freshman guard Durand Scott going to live up to the hype?

We have seen a lot of players struggle in their first year with the Canes. Scott is the highest rated player ever recruited at Miami by head coach Frank Haith. He had offers from UCONN and Pittsburgh but chose to come to the U to build a program instead of be another member of a dynasty. Scott must not let the pressure and expectations affect him mentally.

5)      Do the Hurricanes have a true facilitator?

Yes. Redshirt Sophomore Malcolm Grant is the most vocal leader the Canes have seen. He can orchestrate the offense and get teammates in rhythm shots. Last year everyone would be in awe of McClinton’s ability to dominate and take over a game. This year MG3 will look to create open shots and run the floor.

Justin Antweil

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Five burning basketball questions”

1. Mike Rosenthal says:

“There will never be another McClinton, the greatest player in UM Baksetball history.”
    Either you’re kidding or you are unaware that Rick Barry went to the U.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...