Sleepless Nights in South Beach

The Dream Engine "Heliosphere" will have two shows, 7:00 pm and 2:00 am, Êat the Ocean Drive Showground between 11th and 12th Streets which will feature an acrobat show underneath a giant helium balloon.

Insomnia will take over Miami Beach when Sleepless Night 2009 consumes the city with the best in the arts. Beginning at 6 p.m. on Saturday and lasting until 7 a.m. Sunday morning, Sleepless Night is a 13-hour arts and entertaining extravaganza featuring 130 events that can all be enjoyed for free.

Stretching seven miles from Ocean Drive to Normandy Fountain, Sleepless Night events will feature live musical, theatrical, dance, poetic, comedic and acrobatic performances, free admission to museums, a variety of art displays including indoor and outdoor installations, fashion shows and architectural tours.

Miami Beach will be divided into four zones: North Beach, Collins Park, Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. The four zones will be accessible through shuttle buses that will transport people between 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. and include on-board screenings of short films by Christopher Flach and a video project by Elena Tejada-Herrera. There will also be a special Watson Island Shuttle that will pick up and drop off at the public parking lot across from the Miami Children’s Museum.

Sophomore Katie Sikora thinks Sleepless Night is an amazing idea.

“It sounds like something great for people to get out into the community and get a feel for what we have going on in Miami,” Sikora said.

Sleepless Night 2009 will open with The First-Ever Pajama Run through Lummus Park. Hosted by Chipotle, sleepwear clad runners can enjoy a one-mile run which will start at 8th Street and Ocean Drive at 6 p.m. Registration is free.

During the night, The Byron Carlyle Theater will host theatrical performances by Teatro en Miami, a Spanish-language theater company, and Ground Up & Rising, which is known for putting on young hip shows. The performances will be at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. respectively. The theater will also host the Next Generation 2010 Short Film Festival from 11:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., which includes award-winning shorts from Belgium, France, the Canary Islands and Germany.

For those who last until morning, SoBe Arts Jazz Ensemble and the SoBe Arts Chamber Ensemble along with some classic cartoons will bring Sleepless Night 2009 to a pre-dawn close with “Tunes and Toons” at 5:30 a.m. A yoga class will also be offered at the Park Central Hotel and Whole Foods will provide all sleep deprived art lovers an energizing breakfast.

The events of Sleepless Night 2009 are various and plentiful insuring everyone an entertaining experience they could only imagine in their dreams.

For more information and a list of all Sleepless Night 2009 events, visit www.sleeplessnight.org.

If you go:

What: Audi presents Sleepless Night 2009

Where: Miami Beach stretching from Ocean Drive to around 71st Street

When: Saturday at 6 p.m. until Sunday at 7 a.m.

Cost: Free

Parking: Remote parking is available at the Watson Island public parking lot across from Miami Children’s Museum

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Sleepless Nights in South Beach”

James Jones, who starred at Hialeah American High School, the University of Miami and was a part of ...

A classic good news/bad news scenerio arose for Miami Hurricanes football at the recent Atlantic Coa ...

The University of Miami football players are not the only ones getting preseason accolades. The guys ...

Defending national champ Clemson led all Atlantic Coast Conference schools Wednesday with five playe ...

This was a neat idea that Peter King’s Monday Morning Quarterback website rolled out just as NFL tra ...

Gomez, an expert on human values and attitudes in post-Castro Cuba, will serve as interim director o ...

The University of Miami announced the appointment of Cindy Munro as the new dean of the School of Nu ...

Read the latest entries from UM students who are spending part or all of their summer visiting diffe ...

University of Miami’s Office of Civic and Community Engagement harnesses technology to seek affordab ...

UM female scientists share some insight on women in science, science in Hollywood and how Wonder Wom ...