Sleepless Nights in South Beach

The Dream Engine "Heliosphere" will have two shows, 7:00 pm and 2:00 am, Êat the Ocean Drive Showground between 11th and 12th Streets which will feature an acrobat show underneath a giant helium balloon.

Insomnia will take over Miami Beach when Sleepless Night 2009 consumes the city with the best in the arts. Beginning at 6 p.m. on Saturday and lasting until 7 a.m. Sunday morning, Sleepless Night is a 13-hour arts and entertaining extravaganza featuring 130 events that can all be enjoyed for free.

Stretching seven miles from Ocean Drive to Normandy Fountain, Sleepless Night events will feature live musical, theatrical, dance, poetic, comedic and acrobatic performances, free admission to museums, a variety of art displays including indoor and outdoor installations, fashion shows and architectural tours.

Miami Beach will be divided into four zones: North Beach, Collins Park, Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. The four zones will be accessible through shuttle buses that will transport people between 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. and include on-board screenings of short films by Christopher Flach and a video project by Elena Tejada-Herrera. There will also be a special Watson Island Shuttle that will pick up and drop off at the public parking lot across from the Miami Children’s Museum.

Sophomore Katie Sikora thinks Sleepless Night is an amazing idea.

“It sounds like something great for people to get out into the community and get a feel for what we have going on in Miami,” Sikora said.

Sleepless Night 2009 will open with The First-Ever Pajama Run through Lummus Park. Hosted by Chipotle, sleepwear clad runners can enjoy a one-mile run which will start at 8th Street and Ocean Drive at 6 p.m. Registration is free.

During the night, The Byron Carlyle Theater will host theatrical performances by Teatro en Miami, a Spanish-language theater company, and Ground Up & Rising, which is known for putting on young hip shows. The performances will be at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. respectively. The theater will also host the Next Generation 2010 Short Film Festival from 11:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., which includes award-winning shorts from Belgium, France, the Canary Islands and Germany.

For those who last until morning, SoBe Arts Jazz Ensemble and the SoBe Arts Chamber Ensemble along with some classic cartoons will bring Sleepless Night 2009 to a pre-dawn close with “Tunes and Toons” at 5:30 a.m. A yoga class will also be offered at the Park Central Hotel and Whole Foods will provide all sleep deprived art lovers an energizing breakfast.

The events of Sleepless Night 2009 are various and plentiful insuring everyone an entertaining experience they could only imagine in their dreams.

For more information and a list of all Sleepless Night 2009 events, visit www.sleeplessnight.org.

If you go:

What: Audi presents Sleepless Night 2009

Where: Miami Beach stretching from Ocean Drive to around 71st Street

When: Saturday at 6 p.m. until Sunday at 7 a.m.

Cost: Free

Parking: Remote parking is available at the Watson Island public parking lot across from Miami Children’s Museum

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Sleepless Nights in South Beach”

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

Miami dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in its first road game of the seaso ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...