Sleepless Nights in South Beach

The Dream Engine "Heliosphere" will have two shows, 7:00 pm and 2:00 am, Êat the Ocean Drive Showground between 11th and 12th Streets which will feature an acrobat show underneath a giant helium balloon.

Insomnia will take over Miami Beach when Sleepless Night 2009 consumes the city with the best in the arts. Beginning at 6 p.m. on Saturday and lasting until 7 a.m. Sunday morning, Sleepless Night is a 13-hour arts and entertaining extravaganza featuring 130 events that can all be enjoyed for free.

Stretching seven miles from Ocean Drive to Normandy Fountain, Sleepless Night events will feature live musical, theatrical, dance, poetic, comedic and acrobatic performances, free admission to museums, a variety of art displays including indoor and outdoor installations, fashion shows and architectural tours.

Miami Beach will be divided into four zones: North Beach, Collins Park, Lincoln Road and Ocean Drive. The four zones will be accessible through shuttle buses that will transport people between 5 p.m. to 7 a.m. and include on-board screenings of short films by Christopher Flach and a video project by Elena Tejada-Herrera. There will also be a special Watson Island Shuttle that will pick up and drop off at the public parking lot across from the Miami Children’s Museum.

Sophomore Katie Sikora thinks Sleepless Night is an amazing idea.

“It sounds like something great for people to get out into the community and get a feel for what we have going on in Miami,” Sikora said.

Sleepless Night 2009 will open with The First-Ever Pajama Run through Lummus Park. Hosted by Chipotle, sleepwear clad runners can enjoy a one-mile run which will start at 8th Street and Ocean Drive at 6 p.m. Registration is free.

During the night, The Byron Carlyle Theater will host theatrical performances by Teatro en Miami, a Spanish-language theater company, and Ground Up & Rising, which is known for putting on young hip shows. The performances will be at 7 p.m. and 9 p.m. respectively. The theater will also host the Next Generation 2010 Short Film Festival from 11:30 p.m. to 4:30 a.m., which includes award-winning shorts from Belgium, France, the Canary Islands and Germany.

For those who last until morning, SoBe Arts Jazz Ensemble and the SoBe Arts Chamber Ensemble along with some classic cartoons will bring Sleepless Night 2009 to a pre-dawn close with “Tunes and Toons” at 5:30 a.m. A yoga class will also be offered at the Park Central Hotel and Whole Foods will provide all sleep deprived art lovers an energizing breakfast.

The events of Sleepless Night 2009 are various and plentiful insuring everyone an entertaining experience they could only imagine in their dreams.

For more information and a list of all Sleepless Night 2009 events, visit www.sleeplessnight.org.

If you go:

What: Audi presents Sleepless Night 2009

Where: Miami Beach stretching from Ocean Drive to around 71st Street

When: Saturday at 6 p.m. until Sunday at 7 a.m.

Cost: Free

Parking: Remote parking is available at the Watson Island public parking lot across from Miami Children’s Museum

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Sleepless Nights in South Beach”

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

A few media notes on a Thursday: • As has been the case most years, ABC has decided to televise the ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Frenk delivered his inaugural lecture Wednesday, officially joining the most prestigious group of Me ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

Five members of the University of Maimi track and field team advanced on Day 1 of the NCAA East Prel ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba took down No. 27 Arianne Hartono of Ole Miss, 6-4, 6-3, Thursday morni ...

Jonathan Keller and Amanda Gale of the University of Miami track and field program were named to the ...

The University of Miami's Week 3 game at in-state rival Florida State on Sept. 16 will be telev ...

Due to inclement weather, the ACC Championship has adjusted the scheduled for games and Miami will n ...