Law internships may be unnecessary for admissions

A commonly held belief among those trying to get into law school is that working or interning in the legal profession is a must.

However, a recent Kaplan Test Prep Admissions Survey shows this might not be the case.

In the survey, admissions officers at 152 law schools were asked whether legal experience offers great advantage, some advantage, or no advantage whatsoever.

While four percent responded that legal experience offers “great advantage,” nearly 20 percent reported that it gives applicants “no advantage at all.”

“What’s clear from our survey is that admissions officers continue to consider an applicant’s LSAT score to be the most important admissions factor, followed by undergraduate GPA, the personal statement, letters of recommendation and professional experience,” Howard Bell, executive director of pre-law programs at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions, said in the report.

So how important is professional law experience for University of Miami law school applicants?

“Experience at a law firm or other legal-related internship can’t hurt an applicant and, if nothing else, it gives you an insight into what it’s like to practice law,” said Rachel Papeika, an officer of admissions at the UM School of Law.

This was true for first-year UM law student Nickeah Cohenit.

“It was a terrible experience for me, and forced me to reevaluate why I wanted to go into this career.”

Julia Ardila

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the area, the Miami baseball program announced game time for Fr ...