Law internships may be unnecessary for admissions

A commonly held belief among those trying to get into law school is that working or interning in the legal profession is a must.

However, a recent Kaplan Test Prep Admissions Survey shows this might not be the case.

In the survey, admissions officers at 152 law schools were asked whether legal experience offers great advantage, some advantage, or no advantage whatsoever.

While four percent responded that legal experience offers “great advantage,” nearly 20 percent reported that it gives applicants “no advantage at all.”

“What’s clear from our survey is that admissions officers continue to consider an applicant’s LSAT score to be the most important admissions factor, followed by undergraduate GPA, the personal statement, letters of recommendation and professional experience,” Howard Bell, executive director of pre-law programs at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions, said in the report.

So how important is professional law experience for University of Miami law school applicants?

“Experience at a law firm or other legal-related internship can’t hurt an applicant and, if nothing else, it gives you an insight into what it’s like to practice law,” said Rachel Papeika, an officer of admissions at the UM School of Law.

This was true for first-year UM law student Nickeah Cohenit.

“It was a terrible experience for me, and forced me to reevaluate why I wanted to go into this career.”

Julia Ardila

No doubt that hurricane season, in all its fury, has released its wrath on South Florida and beyond. ...

Vernon “Vern” Carey, Jr., the consensus No. 1 junior basketball recruit in the nation, paid an unoff ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA — Hurricane Irma gave Mark Walton a chance to be with his 6-month old daughter and ...

LAKE BUENA VISTA —Apparently, University of Miami All-American receiver Ahmmon Richard’s hamstring w ...

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier was about to head home to Mobile, Alabama, when the bos ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Behind a big night from junior outside hitter Kolby Bird, who had tied a career-high with 17 kills, ...

The Canes are back in action for the first time in three weeks. Here are three matchups to watch in ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its first day of competition at the All-Florida Invita ...

The University of Miami women's golf team opens its 2017-18 season on Saturday, as it travels t ...

Miami, Auburn, FGCU and Pittsburgh competed, but rain was the victor on the opening day of the Miami ...