Law internships may be unnecessary for admissions

A commonly held belief among those trying to get into law school is that working or interning in the legal profession is a must.

However, a recent Kaplan Test Prep Admissions Survey shows this might not be the case.

In the survey, admissions officers at 152 law schools were asked whether legal experience offers great advantage, some advantage, or no advantage whatsoever.

While four percent responded that legal experience offers “great advantage,” nearly 20 percent reported that it gives applicants “no advantage at all.”

“What’s clear from our survey is that admissions officers continue to consider an applicant’s LSAT score to be the most important admissions factor, followed by undergraduate GPA, the personal statement, letters of recommendation and professional experience,” Howard Bell, executive director of pre-law programs at Kaplan Test Prep and Admissions, said in the report.

So how important is professional law experience for University of Miami law school applicants?

“Experience at a law firm or other legal-related internship can’t hurt an applicant and, if nothing else, it gives you an insight into what it’s like to practice law,” said Rachel Papeika, an officer of admissions at the UM School of Law.

This was true for first-year UM law student Nickeah Cohenit.

“It was a terrible experience for me, and forced me to reevaluate why I wanted to go into this career.”

Julia Ardila

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...