Enough with the game shirts

As I walk past the University of Miami bookstore, I am continually confronted with uninspired t-shirts, created simply to make a quick buck. I am of course talking about the game shirts that seem to be spewing out of the bookstore every time we beat an opposing team.

As a team that is supposed to be about swagger and style, the Canes certainly are promoting the opposite with these abominations. It’s as if we need to reassure ourselves that we are the bad boys of football.

A true Cane would already know that they are better than the opposing team and would not need to wear a shirt that essentially says, “Mommy, I’m a big boy now.” Now I am not suggesting that we boycott the UM bookstore (although on second thought, that may lower textbook prices. GO BOYCOTT NOW!), but I really do believe that these shirts are detrimental to our image.

I know what some people are going to say: “If you don’t like them, then don’t buy them.” That was exactly what was said about bell-bottoms and the Vanilla Ice hair cut, but eventually those people realized how stupid they looked and finally got rid of those as well.

I can only hope people will realize just how ridiculous and corny these shirts are. Reconsider buying game shirts and remember that we are Canes. We are better than the opposing team and we know it.

Alexander Rafuls is a senior majoring in English. To send him free game day t-shirts, he may be contacted at arafuls@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Rafuls

Contributing Columnist

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...