Enough with the game shirts

As I walk past the University of Miami bookstore, I am continually confronted with uninspired t-shirts, created simply to make a quick buck. I am of course talking about the game shirts that seem to be spewing out of the bookstore every time we beat an opposing team.

As a team that is supposed to be about swagger and style, the Canes certainly are promoting the opposite with these abominations. It’s as if we need to reassure ourselves that we are the bad boys of football.

A true Cane would already know that they are better than the opposing team and would not need to wear a shirt that essentially says, “Mommy, I’m a big boy now.” Now I am not suggesting that we boycott the UM bookstore (although on second thought, that may lower textbook prices. GO BOYCOTT NOW!), but I really do believe that these shirts are detrimental to our image.

I know what some people are going to say: “If you don’t like them, then don’t buy them.” That was exactly what was said about bell-bottoms and the Vanilla Ice hair cut, but eventually those people realized how stupid they looked and finally got rid of those as well.

I can only hope people will realize just how ridiculous and corny these shirts are. Reconsider buying game shirts and remember that we are Canes. We are better than the opposing team and we know it.

Alexander Rafuls is a senior majoring in English. To send him free game day t-shirts, he may be contacted at arafuls@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Rafuls

Contributing Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Enough with the game shirts”

1. Jonathan says:

Or more likely when FACING an opposing team. I was somewhat suprised the author didn’t suggest the Canes throw all their games to deny E-Follett profits (remember: lower profits on shirts = higher prices on textbooks).

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...