Enough with the game shirts

As I walk past the University of Miami bookstore, I am continually confronted with uninspired t-shirts, created simply to make a quick buck. I am of course talking about the game shirts that seem to be spewing out of the bookstore every time we beat an opposing team.

As a team that is supposed to be about swagger and style, the Canes certainly are promoting the opposite with these abominations. It’s as if we need to reassure ourselves that we are the bad boys of football.

A true Cane would already know that they are better than the opposing team and would not need to wear a shirt that essentially says, “Mommy, I’m a big boy now.” Now I am not suggesting that we boycott the UM bookstore (although on second thought, that may lower textbook prices. GO BOYCOTT NOW!), but I really do believe that these shirts are detrimental to our image.

I know what some people are going to say: “If you don’t like them, then don’t buy them.” That was exactly what was said about bell-bottoms and the Vanilla Ice hair cut, but eventually those people realized how stupid they looked and finally got rid of those as well.

I can only hope people will realize just how ridiculous and corny these shirts are. Reconsider buying game shirts and remember that we are Canes. We are better than the opposing team and we know it.

Alexander Rafuls is a senior majoring in English. To send him free game day t-shirts, he may be contacted at arafuls@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Rafuls

Contributing Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Enough with the game shirts”

1. Jonathan says:

Or more likely when FACING an opposing team. I was somewhat suprised the author didn’t suggest the Canes throw all their games to deny E-Follett profits (remember: lower profits on shirts = higher prices on textbooks).