Cuban clubs hold phone drive

The Federation of Cuban Students (FEC) and  Students United for a Free Cuba (CAUSA) are holding a charity drive to collect old cell phones from students at the University of Miami.

Initially, FEC wanted to hold a clothes drive to generation articles of clothing to be sent to the island. Junior Alex Fonseca, FEC’s community service chair, was an early proponent of the idea.

However, senior Raul Moas, president of CAUSA, heard of the change in communication rights policy in Cuba and he wanted the two organizations to take advantage of it.

Henceforth, they launched the “Cuba Going Mobile” campaign where students were asked to donate their old cell phones to be sent to the nation to meet the increased demand in such devices.

“FEC is more of a social organization and CAUSA is more political,” Fonseca said. “We had a meeting and decided to get together for the drive since we are the only two Cuban organizations.”

He believes it will also work to break the phone monopoly held by the Cuban government by issuing the free phones to counterparts in Cuba.

According to Maos, the average income in Cuba is the equivalent of $20 monthly, with the price of phones being $18 to $20. Not to mention, Cuba’s cellular plan costs a minimum of $30 a month.

“It’s almost impossible for a regular citizen to buy a cell phone,”  Moas said.

Used, old and broken phones are accepted, preferably with chargers included. Broken phones and those that cannot be used with Cuba’s phone service will either be refurbished or exchanged for calling cards that can be used to call family outside of Cuba.

Cuba has the lowest rate of cell phone ownership in the world, at somewhere between seven and nine percent. There is room for 11 million Cubans to be provided with cellular devices, the drive organizers say.

Before President Raul Castro lifted the ban on cell phones and other electronic appliances, only those working for foreign organizations working in Cuba, such as film crews, and those holding high government positions were allowed to buy cell phones.

Others who could afford them bought them illegally.

Empresa de Telecomunicaciones de Cuba S.A., the restricted cellular service, has been around since 1991 and decided it is ready for heavier traffic.

The access to communication will not quite be on the level of Americans, but it is definitely a significant change for the Communist-governed island.

“I think if they saw how freely we talk on our phones, which is also a freedom of expression, they’d be amazed,” Fonseca said. 

The drive will continue for the rest of the semester. A $250 gift certificate will be given to the student organization that collects the most phones during the drive.

Donations are being taken in the UC room 205 and in the UC Breezeway at either a CAUSA or FEC table.

Jasmine Henderson

Contributing Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...