Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

On day three of the University of South Florida Fall Invitiational, Senior David Simon defeated the USF’s No. 3 Peter Frank 6-2, 2-6, 10-5 to compete for a six-way tie for third place along with junior Christian Blöcker.

The Hurricanes won two of three doubles matches on Sunday, as Simon and Blöcker knocked off USF pair Wael Kilani and Yoshizawa to improve to 4-2. Senior duo Barnabas Carrega and Hector Nieto earned their first doubles win of the season with an 8-5 victory over USF’s Alex Pukal and Juan Carlos.

On day two of the University of South Florida Fall Invitational, the Hurricanes won five singles matches and one doubles match. All-American junior Carl Sundberg emerged to No. 1 with a 6-3, 1-6, 11-9 decision over Louisiana State University.

LSU’s Sebastian Carlsson emerged as the singles champion, while UCF duo Marc Rocafort and Blaze Schwartz tied for the title in doubles to conclude the invitational.

University of Miami Athletics

For the second consecutive year, the Athletic Department has been nominated for the Suncoast Regional Emmy Awards occurring on December 5 in Orlando.

The two videos nominated for the 2009 awards were in the Outstanding Commercial and Outstanding Sports categories, “Alex Rodriguez Park” and “It Begins Here”, respectively.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...