Sports Briefs

Men’s Tennis

On day three of the University of South Florida Fall Invitiational, Senior David Simon defeated the USF’s No. 3 Peter Frank 6-2, 2-6, 10-5 to compete for a six-way tie for third place along with junior Christian Blöcker.

The Hurricanes won two of three doubles matches on Sunday, as Simon and Blöcker knocked off USF pair Wael Kilani and Yoshizawa to improve to 4-2. Senior duo Barnabas Carrega and Hector Nieto earned their first doubles win of the season with an 8-5 victory over USF’s Alex Pukal and Juan Carlos.

On day two of the University of South Florida Fall Invitational, the Hurricanes won five singles matches and one doubles match. All-American junior Carl Sundberg emerged to No. 1 with a 6-3, 1-6, 11-9 decision over Louisiana State University.

LSU’s Sebastian Carlsson emerged as the singles champion, while UCF duo Marc Rocafort and Blaze Schwartz tied for the title in doubles to conclude the invitational.

University of Miami Athletics

For the second consecutive year, the Athletic Department has been nominated for the Suncoast Regional Emmy Awards occurring on December 5 in Orlando.

The two videos nominated for the 2009 awards were in the Outstanding Commercial and Outstanding Sports categories, “Alex Rodriguez Park” and “It Begins Here”, respectively.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Sports Briefs”

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G6: Time again for the latest installment of the Canesfan Satisfaction ...

Syracuse student writer Matthew Gutierrez of The Daily Orange asked me to answer some of his questio ...

After this past University of Miami football game, coach Mark Richt said the crowd came alive during ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...