Volleyball

Canes split ACC weekend matches

Even after two outstanding performances by sophomore Lane Carico, the Hurricanes split games against Virginia Tech and Virginia last week to finish the week 14-9, 7-6 ACC.

On Friday, Miami delivered ACC foe Virginia Tech’s first home loss of the year. Carico recorded 12 kills and five digs alongside sophomore Ali Becker’s nine kills and three blocks to lead the Canes to a 3-0 shutout road victory.

This was Miami’s third road win in four matches.

The Hokies (16-8, 6-7) troubled the Hurricanes in the second set of the match with four ties before key blocks from redshirt sophomore Christine Williamson and freshman Nrithya Sundararaman helped solidify the win. Two kills from junior Ariell Cooke carried Miami’s momentum from the second set to defeat Virginia Tech in the third, 25-18.

Yesterday, the Canes lost their fourth five-set match of the season to Virginia (10-14, 6-7) 3-2. Carico posted 21 kills and 23 digs in the matchup. Redshirt junior Lici McGee had a strong performance with 13 kills and three blocks, while Becker placed 12 kills and five assisted blocks.

However, the team could not close out the Cavaliers in the 15-10 loss in the fifth set. This was the second consecutive time that the Hurricanes lost a five-set match in Charlottesville.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...