Volleyball

Canes split ACC weekend matches

Even after two outstanding performances by sophomore Lane Carico, the Hurricanes split games against Virginia Tech and Virginia last week to finish the week 14-9, 7-6 ACC.

On Friday, Miami delivered ACC foe Virginia Tech’s first home loss of the year. Carico recorded 12 kills and five digs alongside sophomore Ali Becker’s nine kills and three blocks to lead the Canes to a 3-0 shutout road victory.

This was Miami’s third road win in four matches.

The Hokies (16-8, 6-7) troubled the Hurricanes in the second set of the match with four ties before key blocks from redshirt sophomore Christine Williamson and freshman Nrithya Sundararaman helped solidify the win. Two kills from junior Ariell Cooke carried Miami’s momentum from the second set to defeat Virginia Tech in the third, 25-18.

Yesterday, the Canes lost their fourth five-set match of the season to Virginia (10-14, 6-7) 3-2. Carico posted 21 kills and 23 digs in the matchup. Redshirt junior Lici McGee had a strong performance with 13 kills and three blocks, while Becker placed 12 kills and five assisted blocks.

However, the team could not close out the Cavaliers in the 15-10 loss in the fifth set. This was the second consecutive time that the Hurricanes lost a five-set match in Charlottesville.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...