YOUniversity of Miami: Halloween edition

Halloween is a defining time for college students. When we were kids, this sacred night meant pounds and pounds of free candy, followed by the year’s biggest tummy ache the next morning. As we grew older, we left cavities, trick or treating and apple bobbing behind, and began moving towards pranks, parties and horror movies. Now that we’ve reached college, what is the proper way to celebrate, especially at the U?

Costumes have always been, and will continue to be, a big part of Halloween, though their purpose is a bit different now. Before, the aim was to finally dress up as Spiderman or a cowboy in public, and not be laughed at. Now, however, the purpose is to wear the costume that will get you noticed and that people will remember the next day.

Guys always try to have funny costumes, and you can spot the successful ones from a mile away. I still laugh when I think about the guy who dressed up as Sean Connery doing Celebrity Jeopardy. Girls, we know what 99.99% of your costumes will be, and as a guy, let me thank you. Nurse? No. Slutty nurse? Yes! Devil? No. Slutty devil? Yes! Grandmother? No. Slutty grandmother? Still no… please.

So once you pick your costume, what is there to do? The Grove is one giant party, and for freshmen, this is definitely something to do before you graduate. South Beach is an experience too. If partying isn’t your scene, there is still some horror left in Halloween! Go see a scary movie at Sunset Place, go on a ghost tour of Miami or head to Orlando for Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios. We’re in Miami! There’s always something to do.

These four years at college will be some of our best and will leave us with our fondest memories, and Halloween will almost certainly be among them. Whether that memory is raging in the Grove, passing out in a club in South Beach, waking up in a different costume than you put on (been there) or finding out that it may be too soon for a Billy Mays costume, I can almost assure you that you will cherish (whatever you can remember from) this night!

YOUniversity of Miami is a column taking a closer look at the many people that make UM their home.

Evan Peskin is a sophomore majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “YOUniversity of Miami: Halloween edition”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...