UMTV’s Sports Desk wins Best College Sports Show award

Despite being hidden in the back of a little-used building in the School of Communications, UMTV has consistently produced excellence with nine award-winning shows in the past few years.

One of their most acclaimed shows, Sports Desk, just finished airing their third show of the year.

Rory Lincoln, a 21-year-old senior, has been the executive producer of Sports Desk since spring of 2007 and hopes to produce news or sports after graduating from UM.

“Working for a show like this is almost more valuable than class because it gives you real life experience on the type of things you will need to do once you graduate and move on into the real world,” Lincoln said.

Sports Desk is a 30-minute show that airs every Friday night and covers UM sports. The show focuses on sports that are in season and each week they have a student-athlete come on air for an interview.

Meron Berkson is a senior and one of the anchors of Sports Desk. He has been involved with UMTV for two and a half years since he transferred from Hofstra University.

“It is lots of fun; you get to be creative, use humor and it is also a great learning experience,” Berkson said. “I want to do sports broadcasting so it is definitely great to get experience on camera.”

Sports Desk won the award for Best College Sports Show in the country given out by NBS (National Broadcast Society) last March.

“NBS searches all the universities and colleges throughout the country and the finals came down to us and two other schools, then we were able to run away with it,” Lincoln said.

UMTV is completely run by students who do their own reporting, camera work, video editing, script writing and production.

“The majority of students are broadcast journalism majors but numbers have begun to even out with other students who just want to be involved,” said Justin Leiser, the station manager for UMTV. “We have nine shows that students run and produce, and we also work on outside projects as well. But Sports Desk is definitely one of the shows we are most proud of.”

You can watch Sports Desk every Friday at 8:30 p.m. on channel 96 in the dorms and Coral Gables area, on umtv.miami.edu and you can see clips of the show on Facebook.

Robbie Shiver

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...