Think before speaking

The biggest buzz kill after a day of relaxation is hearing about other people’s workloads. I abhor hearing others’ work schedules arbitrarily because it makes me self-conscious about how much (realistically how little) work I’ve accomplished, and in turn I feel guilty.

When one spews off his or her duties, the goal is to make the listener appreciate how hard the person is working towards his or her goal. Instead it just leads to ambivalence and eventually frustration.

Certainly, someone has to get on the soapbox and complain about all the injustice in the world, but sometimes it’s taken to an extreme. Where am I going with this?

Re-think what you’re going to belt out to the world, and if it’s not productive, then maybe keep it to yourself. Chances are the annoyances you want to let everyone know about will become an additional annoyance to otherwise innocently content bystanders. But, on the other hand, a mutual stance concerning crappy matters could result in a cathartic, empowering effect.

I recognize that this article could, ironically, be a prime example of unnecessary banter, but I hope the point has at least been illustrated.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...