Our Opinion: “Illegal alien” costume satirical, not offensive

A bright orange jumpsuit with the words “illegal alien” plastered across the front in bold type, a space alien mask and a plastic “green card” are the three components to a Halloween costume that created a storm of controversy.

Released by Forum Novelties Inc., the costume was intended to be a play-on-words for Halloween-goers with a sense of humor. However, advocacy groups took the costume seriously, denouncing it as racist and offensive.

Brent Wilkes of the League of United Latin American Citizens feels the costume is demeaning.

“These costumes say, ‘These people are not human, they are aliens,’” he said in a USA Today article by Marisol Bello.

As a result of the strong backlash, many stores and web sites, like Toys ‘R Us, Target and Amazon.com, have taken the costume off their shelves.

However, Halloween is a time to poke fun at society. The costume is meant to be a funny representation of a current issue with which the U.S. must contend, not a statement against the humanity of illegal aliens.

The illegal alien costume is a form of political satire, which was clearly not recognized by advocacy groups. It is not even factually correct, since a green card means an immigrant has legal status in the U.S. This just further proves the point that the costume was created in jest, and is not to be taken seriously.

Are police officers or nurses offended when girls dress in promiscuous versions of their uniforms for Halloween? No. Also, if the illegal alien costume is apparently so offensive, why are naysayers not equally condemning those who don Halloween outfits satirizing Obama?

Halloween is the one time a year when anything goes. Those offended by the illegal alien costume should learn to take a joke.

Edtorials represent the majority opinion of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

What do you think about the "illegal alien" Halloween costume?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Editorial Board

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Our Opinion: “Illegal alien” costume satirical, not offensive”

1. Anthony says:

If the costume included a hint toward a particular race there would be no doubt that this would be an offensive costume. Because extraterrestrials have yet to take residence on our planet and therefore, be offended by this costume, there is no victim in this situation.

Although, we really should allow aliens into our borders legally so they can be taxed. :/

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...