Halloween Ibis Ride canceled for good

For students at UM, the Halloween Ibis Ride to Coconut Grove will be nothing more than a fond memory.

According to Dr. Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for student affairs, the Halloween Ibis Ride, which had been canceled in 2007, was temporarily brought back last year “on a pilot basis.”

This year, the popular service has been canceled again, this time for good. Whitely cited a variety of problems that led to its cancellation.

“It’s simply not logistically possible to continue providing the Halloween Ibis Ride,” Whitely said. “Halloween is a very popular night and you just can’t get buses in and out of there in any timely manner.”

Last year, 500 students took the shuttle and 10 staff members were employed. Coach buses were used to transport the students back and forth between the hours of 10 p.m. and 1 a.m. It cost a total of $10,000 to provide the service.

Previous attempts had the ride going to the Grove between the hours of 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. Last year’s times were re-worked to allow for the heavy traffic demands.

In 2007, the Halloween ride was canceled due to the fact that the holiday fell on a weeknight—a Thursday. Whitely, along with the office of the dean of students and Student Government, put together a committee to rehash the plan for a weekend night. Last year was their first and last attempt. Whitely also said that the future of the Halloween Ibis Ride is grim.

“I’d be very pessimistic about it,” she said.

She added that the university is hosting Halloween parties on the nights preceding and on Halloween, and she hopes they will encourage freshmen to stay on campus.

The Halloween party will take place on the Hecht/Stanford Bridge from 10 p.m. to 1 a.m. It will feature a costume contest, free food, music and a photo booth.

A notification sent to the university community via IBIS News encouraged students to plan ahead for Halloween by calling a taxi or having a designated driver.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...