Fashion 4Word: Halloween edition

redslippers

flickr.com

As All Hallows’ Eve approaches, college coeds nationwide prepare for the craziest, most outrageous night of the year. Halloween is the one time each year to try on a different persona and take fashion risks without repercussions… because after all, it’s just a costume, right? So pull out those fishnets, walk with swagger, and take a look at these hot 2009 Halloween trends. So what will it be Miami, trick or treat?

Come-Hither Costumes– Don Draper and Miley Cyrus

Trying to appeal to Halloween temptresses? Dress as the ultimate ladies’ man, Don Draper of Mad Men. Pointers to pulling off this costume: look fabulous in your suit, strut around with extreme confidence and turn your smoldering gaze on every female you see.

For those ladies looking to get in touch with their inner pole dancer, dress as Miley Cyrus from her 2009 Teen Choice Awards performance. Don’t forget the black booty shorts, transparent tank, and high-heeled boots. Carry an iPod speaker blaring “Party in the U.S.A.” for added effect.

Icons of the Past– Michael Jackson and Farrah Fawcett

Pay homage to favorite stars of the past by dressing in their iconic styles. Try out Farrah Fawcett’s retro Charlie’s Angels look by styling your hair in her fabulously feathery way. Grab some high-waisted bell bottom jeans, or wear her famed red swimsuit.

Strike a pose in Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” costume. The shiny red pants and jacket are quite a Halloween fashion statement. Complete your Jackson look with the signature black fedora hat, white glove and excellent dancing skills.

Trekkies and Red Slippers– Star Trek and The Wizard of Oz

Who knew Star Trek could be sexy? After this summer’s blockbuster hit, girls and guys alike flaunt their shape by sporting body-skimming suits. Think your look is equal of those on the Starship Enterprise? Take the ultimate test and try Spock’s Vulcan salute.

Celebrating its 70th anniversary this year, The Wizard of Oz is sizzling for Halloween and provides a variety of costume options. Dress as the character you love to hate, the Wicked Witch of the West, or choose from old favorites, like the Scarecrow or Tin Man. Hot, updated versions of these looks are perfect for group costumes.

Orange and Green, and Blood Red– Glitter Girls and Vampires

A recent hallmark of Miami football games, the orange and green glitter girls have started a trend of their own. Make your own sparkling debut, and cover yourself from head to toe in the dazzling colors of both Halloween and your favorite football team. You’ll be sure to turn some heads in the Grove on Saturday night.

From True Blood to Twilight, vampires are hot. Slip on your own blood-sucking ensemble to get in on this popular look. With a range of different costume styles, from Victorian to modern vampire guises, you’ll be able to find the perfect outfit worthy of the living dead this Halloween.

Danielle Kaslow

Senior EDGE Writer

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...