Up ’til Dawn helps trash childhood cancer

According to Brown University Health Services, college students are among the most sleep-deprived people in the country. The students of University of Miami’s Up ‘til Dawn organization, which raises cancer research funds for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, challenge their peers to put those extra hours toward a charitable cause.

Up ‘til Dawn’s major fundraising event is the annual Letter-Writing Party, taking place on October 27 from 10 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. on the UC Patio.

Student “teams”will come and sign pre-written letters to attract potential donors and compete for prizes for the individuals and teams who raise the most money.  This year, the event is receiving a highly-anticipated makeover, complete with the  theme “Trash Childhood Cancer.” Raffles, spin-wheels, free food and t-shirts, student performances and prizes like a Nintendo Wii all make for a day of charitable entertainment.

Getting involved is simple.

“All students have to do is get some friends together to create a team, go online to myuptildawn.org, search for UM, and register, it’s that easy,” said the organization’s executive director Sara Klaben.

She leads by example, proving it is easy to get involved in the St. Jude efforts.  Following her participation in the Letter-Writing Party during her sophomore year at UM as a transfer student, she rose to the position of Public Relations chair her junior year and is currently executive director.  Just as her sorority sisters sparked her interest in the organization, Klaben hopes to inspire others to join Up ‘til Dawn’s charitable cause.

Each team member’s personal goal is to send 25 letters out or raise $250.   This goal is made easier by the online component, which includes not only an individual and team page, but also an online barometer to track each team’s donations.  The UM Up ‘til Dawn chapter has typically had a 15% return rate, equaling about $30 per letter sent.  They have raised over $88,000 throughout the past five years for child cancer research aimed at finding a cure, with 2007’s record year reaching $24,000.

“We’re hoping to raise much more money than in previous years; our goal is very ambitious,” said Lauren Asher, the St. Jude Children’s Hospital Event Marketing Representative assisting UM’s chapter.

Tasha Giuda

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...