Student Band Profile: Maq

Maq, a band composed of two juniors in at the Frost School of Music majoring in Media writing and Production, performed at Patio Jams last Thursday on the UC Patio. Courtesy of Matthew James Alderman

Matt Alderman and Quinn Carson weren’t great friends at Glenbrook South High School in Glenview, Ill., yet it was only natural that the two formed a band when they came to the University of Miami.

“While we weren’t the best of friends in high school, we both knew each other. So, when we came here, we just started writing and playing music together,” said Carson. “Now we’re best band mates.”

Together, Alderman and Carson form the duo Maq. The two Frost School of Music students cite the alternative-pop group Guster as their main influence. Alderman even said that at UMTV’S U-Tunes competition, in which they are currently semi-finalists, “we were even compared to the Barenaked Ladies.”

Just like the duo themselves, their music is self-described as “just fun, upbeat, easy-going music to listen to.” Carson also stressed that “when people hear our music, what stands out is our vocal harmonies.”

They also had to add that the Frost School of Music has helped them tremendously by the resources it has provided them.

Alderman and Carson both sing, play acoustic guitar, and are media writing and production majors. A day after performing their first UM show at Gusman Hall for the Bruce Hornsby Songwriter Showcase, Maq played Patio Jams to a group of interested and eager students. Carson’s two younger brothers, who are still in high school, accompanied the duo on bass guitar and drums.

Maq recently finished their six-track collection entitled The EP. From start to finish, The EP took two years to complete. Written, recorded, produced and promoted all by themselves, the hard working duo’s album is now currently available for purchase on iTunes.

To find out if the judges on UMTV’s U-Tunes competition were correct in their comparison, check their music out at www.MySpace.com/MusicMaq.

Ben Wexler

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...