Student Band Profile: Maq

Maq, a band composed of two juniors in at the Frost School of Music majoring in Media writing and Production, performed at Patio Jams last Thursday on the UC Patio. Courtesy of Matthew James Alderman

Matt Alderman and Quinn Carson weren’t great friends at Glenbrook South High School in Glenview, Ill., yet it was only natural that the two formed a band when they came to the University of Miami.

“While we weren’t the best of friends in high school, we both knew each other. So, when we came here, we just started writing and playing music together,” said Carson. “Now we’re best band mates.”

Together, Alderman and Carson form the duo Maq. The two Frost School of Music students cite the alternative-pop group Guster as their main influence. Alderman even said that at UMTV’S U-Tunes competition, in which they are currently semi-finalists, “we were even compared to the Barenaked Ladies.”

Just like the duo themselves, their music is self-described as “just fun, upbeat, easy-going music to listen to.” Carson also stressed that “when people hear our music, what stands out is our vocal harmonies.”

They also had to add that the Frost School of Music has helped them tremendously by the resources it has provided them.

Alderman and Carson both sing, play acoustic guitar, and are media writing and production majors. A day after performing their first UM show at Gusman Hall for the Bruce Hornsby Songwriter Showcase, Maq played Patio Jams to a group of interested and eager students. Carson’s two younger brothers, who are still in high school, accompanied the duo on bass guitar and drums.

Maq recently finished their six-track collection entitled The EP. From start to finish, The EP took two years to complete. Written, recorded, produced and promoted all by themselves, the hard working duo’s album is now currently available for purchase on iTunes.

To find out if the judges on UMTV’s U-Tunes competition were correct in their comparison, check their music out at www.MySpace.com/MusicMaq.

Ben Wexler

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...