Student Band Profile: Maq

Maq, a band composed of two juniors in at the Frost School of Music majoring in Media writing and Production, performed at Patio Jams last Thursday on the UC Patio. Courtesy of Matthew James Alderman

Matt Alderman and Quinn Carson weren’t great friends at Glenbrook South High School in Glenview, Ill., yet it was only natural that the two formed a band when they came to the University of Miami.

“While we weren’t the best of friends in high school, we both knew each other. So, when we came here, we just started writing and playing music together,” said Carson. “Now we’re best band mates.”

Together, Alderman and Carson form the duo Maq. The two Frost School of Music students cite the alternative-pop group Guster as their main influence. Alderman even said that at UMTV’S U-Tunes competition, in which they are currently semi-finalists, “we were even compared to the Barenaked Ladies.”

Just like the duo themselves, their music is self-described as “just fun, upbeat, easy-going music to listen to.” Carson also stressed that “when people hear our music, what stands out is our vocal harmonies.”

They also had to add that the Frost School of Music has helped them tremendously by the resources it has provided them.

Alderman and Carson both sing, play acoustic guitar, and are media writing and production majors. A day after performing their first UM show at Gusman Hall for the Bruce Hornsby Songwriter Showcase, Maq played Patio Jams to a group of interested and eager students. Carson’s two younger brothers, who are still in high school, accompanied the duo on bass guitar and drums.

Maq recently finished their six-track collection entitled The EP. From start to finish, The EP took two years to complete. Written, recorded, produced and promoted all by themselves, the hard working duo’s album is now currently available for purchase on iTunes.

To find out if the judges on UMTV’s U-Tunes competition were correct in their comparison, check their music out at www.MySpace.com/MusicMaq.

Ben Wexler

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...