Football

Professor Antweil’s Report Card

Quarterbacks: C

Jacory Harris threw three costly interceptions, one of which was in the fourth quarter that led to DeAndre McDaniel’s 23-yard interception return for a touchdown. Harris must show better poise and decision making. Many of his throws were sailing but his receivers bailed him out by making impressive catches.

Running Backs: C +

Graig Cooper, Javarris James and Damien Berry all ran for over 50 yards but were not able to get the key yards when they needed to. The Canes went three and out after the Randy Phillips interception in the end zone and were not able to punch it inside the goal line in overtime.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: B

Leonard Hankerson is the most improved player on this football team and he continues to haul in difficult ctaches. Travis Benjamin showed his electric speed.

Offensive Line: C+

Although Harris was only sacked three times he was hurried and flushed out of the pocket. The six-man rotation is getting tired as the season progresses.

Defensive Line: B

When Miami blitzed, they were successful but did not elect to generate pressure often in order to prevent the short slant routes to Jacoby Ford and CJ Spiller. Allen Bailey had two sacks and forced a fumble that Marcus Robinson scooped up for a 53-yard score. Andrew Smith also had a fumble recovery.

Linebackers: B

Sean Spence was annihilated on the Spiller 56-yard score up the left sideline, but he was playing with a bum knee for most of the game. Colin McCarthy and Darryl Sharpton were phenomenal. Each had 11 and 10 total tackles respectively while combining for 3.5 tackles for a loss and a forced fumble.

Secondary: F

There were numerous break downs in the secondary especially on the Jacoby Ford game winning 26-yard touchdown. The secondary could not tackle and looked very confused by Clemson’s offensive schemes.

Special Teams: F

Kicking the ball to CJ Spiller with under a minute left in the first half when the Tigers had no timeouts was inexcusable. Miami had negative net yards in punt returns. The special teams unit continues to struggle getting down field and pinning the opponents deep in its own territory.

Coaching: F

A microcosm of this game was calling a timeout before the end of the first half then on the ensuing play Miami was flagged for too many men on the field. Poor clock management to end the first half, too much miscommunication on the field, 11 penalties for 79 yards, conservative play calling in the fourth quarter. Damien Berry should have gotten the ball more in the red zone. There will be a lot of work in the film room this week.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...