College kids and health care reform

What will health care reform entail for the futures of the nearly 15 million college students nationwide?

The current health care reform debate taking place in Washington could very well affect our livelihoods more than any other demographic. Currently, according to the U.S. Census Bureau, there are nearly 47 million uninsured Americans or 20 percent of the population under the age of 65. According to the Congressional Budget Office (CBO), health care costs cover 16 percent of G.D.P. and is expected to increase to 31 percent by 2035. Consequently, the nation’s deficit continues to rise leaving our generation in danger of sheer financial crisis if action is not taken.

We must not lobby for just any reform, but smart, financially viable reform. Though it is not the only alternative, the public option is the best guarantee for lasting restructuring. It would create competition with private insurance and weaken the monopoly of big insurance in the current system. Furthermore, it would allow an entire new income bracket of hardworking Americans to purchase health insurance and realize their universal right to quality health care. Most importantly, it would bring much-needed financial stabilization to the health care system.

Adversaries have referred to the proposed government-run program as a socialist government takeover of medicine. The term “socialized medicine” was created by advocates of the American Medical Association in 1947 in opposition to President Harry Truman’s health care initiative. Americans were fearful of government intervention then and rightfully remain so today; however, no one would argue that the status quo is sustainable.

Ironically, Medicare remains one of the largest socialized medical programs in the world. This contradiction is also evident in the single-payer systems of the medical departments of the Veterans Health Administration, U.S. Navy, Army and Air Force. The same people who enjoy, or will soon enjoy, the benefits of these programs are the most vocal opponents of reform.

As fiery cable TV and radio personalities take to the airwaves, where are  the voices of college students? The 1960s saw the nation’s youth take up causes such as Women’s Rights and the Civil-Rights movement, but the present generation appears more engrossed in pop-culture and the latest electronic gadget than enacting meaningful societal change.

As President Ronald Reagan proclaimed at the 1981 Notre Dame commencement ceremony, “We need you; we need your youth, your strength and your idealism, to help us make right what is wrong.”

No matter where you stand on the issue, it is our moral and civic duty as Americans to assume a role in the debate; if we do not speak out, who will?

Daniel Medina is senior majoring in broadcast journalism and political science. He may be contacted at dmedina@themiamihurricane.com.

Daniel Medina

Contributing Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “College kids and health care reform”

1. Bill Watson says:

The VA format should be used in health care refom.

A two part solution for fixing health care would make reform simple, straight forward, and save hundreds of billions of dollars annually.

A pure public option, with government sales tax funding, replacing insurance, along with distributing all government funded care only through government owned and operated hospitals, staffed by government employed doctors and health care providers, using VA systems, is the best solution for fixing half of the health care problem.

The second half of the solution is to have a pure private option, with private insurance and only private funding, paying for care and medications dispenssed by private providers, that would not be subjected to any government mandates.

Nobody can collect the money to pay for health care as cheaply as the government can through a national sales tax, and nobody can deliver high quality care and medications as cost effectively as the VA.

President Obama commented that “governments unfair advantages” would not be allowed to disrupt private health care’s businesses, however a CBO study to compare all proposed reforms, to a dual public/private plan, would scream that “governmments unfair advantages” offer the only solutions to save lives and prevent bankrupting families, employers, and our country.

Everyone choosing public care could have it no restrictions, no insurance, no co pays, free period.

Employers who select federal public care for their employees would not be required to pay for or have any further involvement with health care.

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...

Notes from Miami's 2018 Football schedule. ...