NFL needs to man up

The National Football League is known as a gladiator league, where only the biggest and strongest can survive. But after watching various games over the first five weeks of the season, it is becoming painfully clear that the “wussification” of the NFL has begun.

Referees are favoring offenses more than ever, and at times, going out of their way to protect quarterbacks from injuries.  Late-hit and roughing the passer calls have become far too commonplace in a league that prides itself on physicality.

Yes, the NFL is smart in trying to deter late hits, as injuries to any of the NFL’s stars can be severely detrimental to the league (for example, Tom Brady’s knee injury in 2008). The new “Brady Rules” were put into effect to stop hits below the knees. Rules already in place limit any contact to the helmet of an offensive player. All of a sudden, the space where a defensive player can hit an offensive player has become much smaller, making it tougher to make the play.

Current players have been grumbling about the restrictions, as All-World Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis was the latest to voice his opposition to the NFL’s new rules. As a fan of a notoriously physical team (the Giants), the recent calls made by the refs are of a concern to me.

Though I love watching high-scoring affairs every now and then, defensive showdowns are more exciting than two teams who don’t play defense. If I wanted to watch a league where defense isn’t important, I’d just watch the NBA. So sit back—the “wussification” of the NFL has begun.

Michael Perchick is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism. He may be contacted at mperchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...