NFL needs to man up

The National Football League is known as a gladiator league, where only the biggest and strongest can survive. But after watching various games over the first five weeks of the season, it is becoming painfully clear that the “wussification” of the NFL has begun.

Referees are favoring offenses more than ever, and at times, going out of their way to protect quarterbacks from injuries.  Late-hit and roughing the passer calls have become far too commonplace in a league that prides itself on physicality.

Yes, the NFL is smart in trying to deter late hits, as injuries to any of the NFL’s stars can be severely detrimental to the league (for example, Tom Brady’s knee injury in 2008). The new “Brady Rules” were put into effect to stop hits below the knees. Rules already in place limit any contact to the helmet of an offensive player. All of a sudden, the space where a defensive player can hit an offensive player has become much smaller, making it tougher to make the play.

Current players have been grumbling about the restrictions, as All-World Ravens middle linebacker Ray Lewis was the latest to voice his opposition to the NFL’s new rules. As a fan of a notoriously physical team (the Giants), the recent calls made by the refs are of a concern to me.

Though I love watching high-scoring affairs every now and then, defensive showdowns are more exciting than two teams who don’t play defense. If I wanted to watch a league where defense isn’t important, I’d just watch the NBA. So sit back—the “wussification” of the NFL has begun.

Michael Perchick is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism. He may be contacted at mperchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Michael Perchick

Contributing Columnist

Welcome to Bulletin Board Material, the Miami Herald’s weekday roundup covering everything in the So ...

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

After a double-bye, the fourth-seeded and No. 15-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Ch ...

The Hurricanes will compete in the 54-hole Austin Regional at the University of Texas Golf Club from ...

The Hurricanes are headed to Fayetteville, Ark., to compete at the inaugural National Relay Champion ...

For the final time in his storied career, Miami head coach Jim Morris and his Hurricanes will make t ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...