New Spring Rush

With spring of 2010 around the corner, the University of Miami Panhellenic sororities are preparing for one of their most crucial event of the year, recruitment.

However, the process this year has undergone a few changes.

For one, this is the first time that recruitment will be solely in the spring.

The university first made this move last year strictly for freshman so that they could adjust to college life and participate in other activities before joining a sorority.  

Last year there was informal fall recruitment for non-freshman and transfer students.

This year everyone will rush at the same time. 

If there were to be informal fall recruitment this year, only sororities whose quotas are below campus average could participate. This, in turn, could create potential divisions in the Greek community. 

Junior Jillian Rudman, president of Sigma Delta Tau, mentioned that many Greek leaders supported this decision.

“We want to stand united, and we were afraid that if the sororities were segregated by who was rushing and who wasn’t, potential new members could get the wrong impression,” she said.  

Due to deferred recruitment, the executive board has extra time to prepare and promote Greek life.

They are holding Panhellenic events such as Greek socials, one of which will be Oct. 21st on the Hecht/Stanford bridge, and a sorority showcase which will be in the Wellness center on Nov. 13th. 

“These events are designed to encourage freshman and other women interested in recruitment to come out and meet Greek women and sign up for recruitment,” senior Justina Martynaityte, the executive board vice president of recruitment, said. 

Students are able to sign up online on the UM website, greek life tab.

Kylie Karp

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will conclude its regular season Sunday with a home d ...

Kevin Arreaga smashed a school record in the men's hammer throw to lead the University of Miami ...