Modern writer Michael Chabon speaks at Books and Books

Have you and reading had a breakup?  After cramming for orgo and reveling at Monty’s, many students have no interest in relaxing with well-crafted literature. After being force-fed James Joyce, Joyce Carol Oates and William Shakespeare in high school, many students that still like to read prefer James Patterson and Stephenie Meyer.

For those willing to give the written word a second shot, try Michael Chabon.  The Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay does something many of his colleagues don’t: incorporate the elements of plot and excitement into his stories.  Inspired by comics and pulp fiction from days gone by, his genre-based fiction runs the gamut from “Highwaymen in the Holy Land” (a condensed summary of his book Gentlemen of the Road) to the struggle to complete a sophomore novel, all the while incorporating a distinctly Jewish vibe.

The latest stop on his junket tour brings him to Books and Books in Coral Gables Friday night.  He’ll be signing his latest, Manhood for Amateurs, as well as giving a reading.  There is a ticketed, VIP-type event prior, but the free public event starts at 8 p.m.  Be sure to get there early, though, because it will likely be hard to find a seat.

Who: Pulitzer Prize winning writer Michael Chabon
What: Book signing and talk

Where: Books and Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue

When: Time: Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ben Cathey

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...