Modern writer Michael Chabon speaks at Books and Books

Have you and reading had a breakup?  After cramming for orgo and reveling at Monty’s, many students have no interest in relaxing with well-crafted literature. After being force-fed James Joyce, Joyce Carol Oates and William Shakespeare in high school, many students that still like to read prefer James Patterson and Stephenie Meyer.

For those willing to give the written word a second shot, try Michael Chabon.  The Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay does something many of his colleagues don’t: incorporate the elements of plot and excitement into his stories.  Inspired by comics and pulp fiction from days gone by, his genre-based fiction runs the gamut from “Highwaymen in the Holy Land” (a condensed summary of his book Gentlemen of the Road) to the struggle to complete a sophomore novel, all the while incorporating a distinctly Jewish vibe.

The latest stop on his junket tour brings him to Books and Books in Coral Gables Friday night.  He’ll be signing his latest, Manhood for Amateurs, as well as giving a reading.  There is a ticketed, VIP-type event prior, but the free public event starts at 8 p.m.  Be sure to get there early, though, because it will likely be hard to find a seat.

Who: Pulitzer Prize winning writer Michael Chabon
What: Book signing and talk

Where: Books and Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue

When: Time: Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ben Cathey

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...