Modern writer Michael Chabon speaks at Books and Books

Have you and reading had a breakup?  After cramming for orgo and reveling at Monty’s, many students have no interest in relaxing with well-crafted literature. After being force-fed James Joyce, Joyce Carol Oates and William Shakespeare in high school, many students that still like to read prefer James Patterson and Stephenie Meyer.

For those willing to give the written word a second shot, try Michael Chabon.  The Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist of The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay does something many of his colleagues don’t: incorporate the elements of plot and excitement into his stories.  Inspired by comics and pulp fiction from days gone by, his genre-based fiction runs the gamut from “Highwaymen in the Holy Land” (a condensed summary of his book Gentlemen of the Road) to the struggle to complete a sophomore novel, all the while incorporating a distinctly Jewish vibe.

The latest stop on his junket tour brings him to Books and Books in Coral Gables Friday night.  He’ll be signing his latest, Manhood for Amateurs, as well as giving a reading.  There is a ticketed, VIP-type event prior, but the free public event starts at 8 p.m.  Be sure to get there early, though, because it will likely be hard to find a seat.

Who: Pulitzer Prize winning writer Michael Chabon
What: Book signing and talk

Where: Books and Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue

When: Time: Friday, 7:30 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ben Cathey

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...