Miami Project to Cure Paralysis

In 1985, Marc Buoniconti dislocated his neck at the third and fourth cervical vertebrae and sustained a spinal cord injury after making a tackle for the Citadel in his first game.

However, this event which left him paralyzed has not stopped him from trying to make an impact on the world.

Marc would later become the president of the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, which is part of the University of Miami’s School of Medicine.

“He’s a great ambassador for what he’s done, knowing that he may not walk again, but others might,” said Kristin Wherry, director of national chapters for the Buoniconti Fund, which works in conjunction with the Miami Project to earn funds for its research.

This initiative was founded by his father Nick Buoniconti, who won two Super Bowls in 14 NFL seasons, and  Barth A. Green, the chairman of the Department for Neurological Surgery.

With Marc Buoniconti featured on the cover of Sports Illustrated August issue, the Miami Project received nationwide publicity.

“I’ve received donations from people just because they noticed the article and wanted to contribute,” said Megan Hess, the director of annual giving,

This organization’s purpose is not to treat individuals with a spinal cord injury but to research methods and procedures that will potentially lead to a cure in the future.

This is accomplished through assistance from individuals, who have experienced such injuries and are willing to participate in active studies.

As far as research is concerned, the Miami Project will have anywhere from 15-20 clinical studies transpiring at any point in time.

“What we’ll try to do is basically incorporate it all under one roof,” Maria Chagoyen, senior administrative assistant for the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, said.

They’ve made advancements in research on Traumatic Brain Injury and Schwann cell research.

When Kevin Everett, former tight end for the Miami Hurricanes and the NFL’s Buffalo Bills, suffered spinal cord injury in the first game of his second professional season this project research was utilized.

W. Dalton Dietrich, the scientific director, research with utilizing hypothermia as a treatment for SCI was relayed to Everett’s personal doctor to eventually get him to walk again.

“Knowing that you’re contributing to seeing an individual with paralysis walk again is extremely gratifying… We give them hope,” Chagoyen said.

David Furones

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...