Masquerade Ball a new addition to Homecoming 2009

For Homecoming 2009, time-honored traditions will mix with new additions that promise to “rock U like a hurricane.”

As part of the first day festivities, a masquerade ball – planned by freshmen and primarily geared towards them – will take place following the opening ceremony on Oct. 30. Although it emphasizes and encourages freshman attendance, it is open for all students.

According to Billy Fuchsman, chair of the 2009 Homecoming Executive Committee, the idea for the masquerade ball was born last year, but due to time and funding constraints, it was left for this year’s homecoming.

“We made the decision last spring and decided to leave the planning to a freshman committee,” Fuchsman said.

According to Mary Elizabeth Barron, one of the vice chairs for the 2009 Homecoming Executive Committee, this is the first time that a Homecoming event is planned solely by freshmen. The Freshman Committee worked closely with the Executive Committee to plan an event that would appeal to their class and make them feel involved in the Homecoming festivities.

“We wanted to get freshmen involved,” Barron said. “We wanted to attract them to Homecoming and have them get involved in an organization.”

“It’s a way for them to feel involved in an event they would want to do,” Fuchsman said.

Originally supposed to be held on the Bank United Center’s Field House, it has now been relocated to the Rathskeller.

“We decided it would be a better student venue,” Barron said.

The event starts at 10:30 p.m. and goes until 2 a.m. Food will be provided free of charge to attendees, but Cane Cards will be checked prior to admission.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...