If I exercise at a lower intensity, will I burn more fat like the chart on my treadmill tells me?

Anyone who has been in a gym within the past 25 years has seen it.

You know, that little easy-to-read chart on every piece of cardio equipment with the perfectly linear trend line showing the progression of heart rate to your exercise “stage.” Many of these visual aids like to display that when your heart rate reaches 120-150 beats/minute that you are in the “maximum fat burning” zone.

Although it is true you are burning predominantly more fat over other fuel sources like carbohydrates or protein at this time, it is not the peak of your fat burning potential. You will actually burn more fat calories at a higher intensity. However, in terms of ratios, more calories will be burnt from carbohydrates rather than fat at this higher level.

As you increase your exercise intensity, the percentage of energy provided by fat goes down, but you burn more calories per minute.

For example, when exercising at lower intensities (light walking), you may be getting 70 percent of your energy from fat but you may only be burning 5 kcal (calories) per minute. When you increase to a jog, you may be only getting 50% of your energy from fat but you may be burning 10 kcal/minute.

If you only have 20 min to get your cardio in, and you want to shed off those arm sails, step it up a notch!  The only way you’re going to burn more fat calories in a set time parameter is by increasing intensity and burning more total kcal overall.

Jeremy Albelda

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “If I exercise at a lower intensity, will I burn more fat like the chart on my treadmill tells me?”

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...