Hoop there it is

Sports season is in full gear.

Last night the men’s and women’s basketball teams began their 2009-2010 seasons as each practiced and scrimmaged in front of fans at the BankUnited Center for Hurricanes Hoopsfest.L

“This is great for us,” men’s basketball head coach Frank Haith said. “This was our first public appearance in front of people. I thought our guys handled themselves well. The young kids were really good.”

This was the first opportunity for Haith to showcase another stellar recruiting class in front of the orange and green faithful. One of the stars of the scrimmage was redshirt sophomore Malcolm Grant, a point guard who sat out last year according to NCAA rules after transferring from Villanova.

Last year the Canes were without a true point guard, but Grant will look to orchestrate the UM offense.

“I’m so excited to get on the court,” Grant, a Brooklyn, N.Y., native said. “Last year was really tough for me not being able to play but I took a positive out of it and saw the game in a whole new way. I was a vocal leader and now I’m ready to control the offense and get my teammates in good rhythm shots.”

The womens team’s head coach Katie Meier brought in five new recruits. Of note is McDonald’s All-American Morgan Stroman. Stroman will look to complement sophomore sensation Shenise Johnson.

Johnson was the only player in Division 1 to lead her team in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals last year.

Attendance to the free two hour event was sparse.

Senior Dylan Brooks enjoyed the action on the hard court, but was disappointed with the turnout.

“It was really cool to see all the new faces on the teams but the lack of support from the fans took away from the energy.”

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Hoop there it is”

1. Nathan Skinner says:

Having it on a Wednesday night kills attendance by the local community. It probably would have had more attendance had we had it on Halloween morning or something, before the Wake game. And honestly, it’s not like my classmates were going to show up anyway. You’ll see a line for The Beach once this year, and that’s for Duke. Other than that, the BUC is going to look like it did “BM”–Before McClinton.

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...