A librarian and an artist

Gilda Santana is an artist at heart who always found sanctuary at libraries.

“I’ve always felt comfortable with the two,” Santana said.

Her office, decorated with artwork and architecture models, looks more like an artist’s work space.

Along with artwork and pictures of family and pets, Santana keeps a set of quotes on her wall.

One of those she applies to herself every day.

“I was born not knowing and have had little time to change that here and there,” this quote by Richard Feynman reads.

She’s an artist that finds landscape and architecture interesting, but still finds time to paint and sketch.

“She has a very artistic sense, but she’s not the typical rebellious artist,” Scott Britton, a friend and colleague of Santana’s for two and a half years, said. “I could tell she was some sort of artist when I met her from the way she dressed and her jewelry.”

Britton remembers searching for houses with Santana after both accepted their jobs at UM.

Britton said Santana preferred the diversity, eclecticism and “shagginess” of Coconut Grove over the organized neighborhoods of Coral Gables.

Santana was born in Cuba, but she was raised in Union City, N.J. Here she found little creative outlet.

Her father, a factory machine operator, and her mother, an embroiderer, felt most comfortable with Santana spending her free time at the local library.

She began to work there as a teenager and later worked at art museums.

As a teenager, the eclectic city of New York, with art displays and museums practically in her backyard, nurtured her creative mind.

“I took the train to Manhattan since I was 13,” she recalled.

Her appetite for the arts in the city led her to move there right after high school.

Santana worked in a number of art museums, libraries, bookstores, and design studios. She attended Bard College and received her degree in art history.

“I always thought I’d be an artist,’’ she explained. “I wanted to be a painter.”

Art wasn’t going to pay the bills, so Santana got a master’s degree in library science from Rutgers University, folding her lifelong passion into a profession.

In spare time she reads books about architecture and often sketches images of her dogs and landscapes she comes across.

Santana joined the UM libraries staff in 2007 as the School of Architecture’s first librarian.

Jasmine Henderson

Contributing Columnist

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...