Sports Briefs

Baseball

Head coach Jim Morris and recruitment coordinator J.D. Arteaga yesterday announced the No.9 ranked 2009 recruitment class for the Hurricanes. The 13 member class includes six who were taken in the Major League Draft, including standout switch-hitter infielder Stephen Perez (18th round/Cincinnati Reds) and pitcher E.J. Escinosa (23rd round/ Minnesota Twins) from Gulliver Prep and Coral Park High School, respectively.

Junior Chris Pelaez and sophomore Rony Rodriguez will be entering the program from Miami Dade College

“We are very excited about this recruiting class,” Morris said, according to hurricanesports.com. “J.D. really put together a great incoming class. It’s very, very important that these guys come in and make an immediate impact on our team.”

Cross Country

Junior Charles Michel has been named the ACC Performer of the Week after his performance at the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic in Orlando this past weekend. He ranked 18th out of 205 participants in the race.

“It is a huge accomplishment for Charlie to be recognized as the athlete of the week,” said assistant cross country coach Damon Griffiths, according to hurricanesports.com. “His dedication and work ethic this summer has allowed him to make major strides this season.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Seeking a college experience within a diverse community, this graduate found her home away from home ...

‘Part-Time Junior’ Sculpts Her Way to a B.F.A. ...