Sports Briefs

Baseball

Head coach Jim Morris and recruitment coordinator J.D. Arteaga yesterday announced the No.9 ranked 2009 recruitment class for the Hurricanes. The 13 member class includes six who were taken in the Major League Draft, including standout switch-hitter infielder Stephen Perez (18th round/Cincinnati Reds) and pitcher E.J. Escinosa (23rd round/ Minnesota Twins) from Gulliver Prep and Coral Park High School, respectively.

Junior Chris Pelaez and sophomore Rony Rodriguez will be entering the program from Miami Dade College

“We are very excited about this recruiting class,” Morris said, according to hurricanesports.com. “J.D. really put together a great incoming class. It’s very, very important that these guys come in and make an immediate impact on our team.”

Cross Country

Junior Charles Michel has been named the ACC Performer of the Week after his performance at the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic in Orlando this past weekend. He ranked 18th out of 205 participants in the race.

“It is a huge accomplishment for Charlie to be recognized as the athlete of the week,” said assistant cross country coach Damon Griffiths, according to hurricanesports.com. “His dedication and work ethic this summer has allowed him to make major strides this season.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...