Sports Briefs

Baseball

Head coach Jim Morris and recruitment coordinator J.D. Arteaga yesterday announced the No.9 ranked 2009 recruitment class for the Hurricanes. The 13 member class includes six who were taken in the Major League Draft, including standout switch-hitter infielder Stephen Perez (18th round/Cincinnati Reds) and pitcher E.J. Escinosa (23rd round/ Minnesota Twins) from Gulliver Prep and Coral Park High School, respectively.

Junior Chris Pelaez and sophomore Rony Rodriguez will be entering the program from Miami Dade College

“We are very excited about this recruiting class,” Morris said, according to hurricanesports.com. “J.D. really put together a great incoming class. It’s very, very important that these guys come in and make an immediate impact on our team.”

Cross Country

Junior Charles Michel has been named the ACC Performer of the Week after his performance at the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic in Orlando this past weekend. He ranked 18th out of 205 participants in the race.

“It is a huge accomplishment for Charlie to be recognized as the athlete of the week,” said assistant cross country coach Damon Griffiths, according to hurricanesports.com. “His dedication and work ethic this summer has allowed him to make major strides this season.”

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...