Risqué student-directed show comes to the Blackbox

During a recent dress rehearsal of the new student play Tatjana in Color, cast member Grace Douglas suddenly exclaimed, “Oh my gosh, oh my gosh. This is so scandalous.”

Douglas’ shock stemmed from seeing sophomore Samantha Sutliff on stage wearing close to nothing. Sutliff, who plays the lead role of Tatjana, had only a towel covering her lower backside. In fact, the show includes two scenes in which actresses are partially clothed, although the audience can only see their backs.

“It’s nerve-wracking, but I am okay with it,” Sutliff said. “It is done in a classy way and it makes the play more interesting.”

Tatjana in Color, written in 1997 by award-winning playwright Julia Jordan, was loosely based on the biography of Egon Schiele. The prominent Austrian painter was briefly imprisoned in 1912 for immoral interactions with a 12-year-old child named Tatjana Von Mossig.

The play opens its four-day run at 8 p.m. tonight in Hecht Residential College’s Black Box Theatre on the second floor. Admission is free.

“What sets this show apart from others is that it challenges the norms,” student director Sarah Zemach said. “This is not what you expect to see in a musical or other play; it is a lot deeper than that.”

This isn’t the first UM production to feature partially-clad actors and actresses. In the past, Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and Dog Sees God featured scenes similar to Tajana, during which the audience didn’t see frontal views of cast members.

Zemach said that she was excited about the storyline and jumped on the opportunity to bring the script to the stage after given the go-ahead by the UM Department of Theatre Arts.

“This is not an easy play,” she said. “It is provocative, abstract and not usually the kind of play that is put on in the UM theatre department.”

Zemach encountered one big obstacle after the student playing the role of Schiele withdrew for personal reasons. Samantha Bangs, who plays Schiele’s mistress, volunteered her fiancé, Max Schloner, to fill the role mid-way though rehearsals. Schloner is a creative writing and motion picture major, but has previous acting experience.

“Max read the script so well on the first time, so it eased my worries,” Zemach said. “And it’s funny how the lovers play lovers.”

Rehearsals began four weeks ago and cast members worked six days a week. Jennifer Vellenga, Zemach’s acting and directing professor, introduced the play to the young director.

“I think the director was looking for something with a feminine slant and took to a topic maybe a little more taboo,” Vellenga said. “This is about a young woman coming of age and how she views herself in relationship to art.”

Douglas said that she thinks that the audience will respond with mixed reactions.

“If they leave half as shocked as I am right now, it will prove to be a great show,” she said.

If You Go

What: student play Tatjana in Color

When: 8 p.m. on Thursday and Friday; 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. on Saturday; 2 p.m. on Sunday

Where: Black Box Theatre on the second floor of Hecht Residential College

Cost: Free admission, sign up on the second floor of the Hecht in the theater department

Laura Caso

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Risqué student-directed show comes to the Blackbox”

1. Lauren says:

I think it’s pathetic that someone would think seeing someone’s back is scandalous. Terribly, terribly sad.

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

It was obvious before tipoff that the University of Miami game against No. 5 Duke was no ordinary Hu ...

Miami Hurricanes backup quarterback Evan Shirreffs announced Monday on Twitter that he will transfer ...

Here’s one of the many neat things about the UM football program, a tradition that has carried on fo ...

Clemson coach Brad Brownell had a simple plan at the only practice before facing No. 18 Miami — don ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

UM launches three cyber security certificate programs to equip professionals for the growing employm ...

The second annual Big Data Conference and Workshop hosted by UM Center for Computational Science enc ...

Now in its 67th year, the Beaux Arts Festival will move to the Foote University Green. ...

Freshman jumper Hasani Knight was named ACC Men's Field Performer of the Week. ...

MIami volleyball signee Chloe Brown was named the 2017-18 Gatorade Oregon Volleyball Player of the Y ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team will play the first of two home games in a 31-d ...

Lonnie Walker IV scored 19 points, but it wasn't enough as the Canes fell to the Blue Devils at ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Clemson behind a career-high 19 point ...