Club tennis impresses at state tournament

Considered one of the largest sports clubs that offer both competitive and recreational squads, the Club Tennis team is an organization that continues to grow and develop.

Having recently returned from a tournament at the University of Florida from Sept. 26–27, the Club Tennis team has proven itself a force to be reckoned with.

Of the three squads sent to the Florida tournament, one men’s team made it to the semi-finals in the main draw while both the second men’s team and the women’s team made it to the semi-finals of the consolidation bracket.

“We practiced for the tournaments pretty much like we always do,” Club president Simone Berger, a junior, said. “We came out, hit and worked hard on what we needed to work on.”

The club is split into two sections, competitive and recreational. The competitive section meets Tuesdays at 6 p.m.; the recreational on Tuesdays from 5–8 p.m. and Fridays 5–7 p.m.

Students interested in playing for the club do not have to try out; the recreational section accepts all students who just want to enjoy a game of tennis.

“The recreational side of the club provides students with the opportunity to play and meet other people on campus,” said Rhonda Dubord, the advisor of the club and associate director of recreational programs at the Wellness Center.

“I feel like I am part of a family, and all of my family members have the same interest,” Berger said. “You see people around campus and you [think] ‘hey – it’s really awesome to have that sense of community.’”

From Feb. 7–9, the club hosted its fourth-annual Ibis Open at the Crandon Park Tennis Center at Key Biscayne. Over 90 players participated in the event from across the state, including University of Florida, University of Central Florida, University of South Florida, Florida International University and Florida Gulf Coast University.

“Everyone brought their A-game for an action-packed weekend of competitive play. Players were promised a minimum of two matches while some were able to play as many as seven in two days,” Dubord said. “It is safe to say that everyone was extremely sore by the end of the weekend.”

For the past four years, the club has been sponsored by the by the United States Tennis Association and have been provided with balls, travel money and t-shirts.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.