Sports Briefs

Football

Hurricanesports.com is reporting that this season has proven to be one of the most successful for television ratings for the football team. They have played in four of ESPN’s top six most viewed games in history. This year’s Miami vs. FSU rivalry game was the third most highly viewed football game ever.

Cross Country

The Hurricanes participated in the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. The men’s team sent a seven runners to the competition, a season-high. Junior Charles Michel finished ranked at No. 18. For the women, sophomore Ana Bona finished in 24th place.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The swimming and diving  team began their season at Atlanta this past Saturday with a 0-3 record, falling to Western Kentucky, Clemson and Georgia Tech. No divers went to the meet, and the Canes lost many points in the final score, even after first place finishes by freshman Sofia Johansson in the 100-yard breaststroke, junior Ryann Labreche in the 1000-yard freestyle, and junior Annika Saarnak in the 100-yard butterfly, the 100- and 100-yard free style.

“The girls swam amazing,” stated UM swimming head coach Christie Shefchunas, according to hurricanesports.com. “We had so many great swims today and I think it truly set us up for a great season.”

The team will next swim in Fort Myers, Fla. For a tri-meet against Florida Gulf Coast and ACC rival Florida State.

Women’s Volleyball

On Friday, the Canes fell to ACC rival Duke University 3-0 away at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C. This is Miami’s fourth ACC loss.

Miami will next play on Friday, Oct. 16 at Boston College at 7 p.m.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...