Sports Briefs

Football

Hurricanesports.com is reporting that this season has proven to be one of the most successful for television ratings for the football team. They have played in four of ESPN’s top six most viewed games in history. This year’s Miami vs. FSU rivalry game was the third most highly viewed football game ever.

Cross Country

The Hurricanes participated in the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. The men’s team sent a seven runners to the competition, a season-high. Junior Charles Michel finished ranked at No. 18. For the women, sophomore Ana Bona finished in 24th place.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The swimming and diving  team began their season at Atlanta this past Saturday with a 0-3 record, falling to Western Kentucky, Clemson and Georgia Tech. No divers went to the meet, and the Canes lost many points in the final score, even after first place finishes by freshman Sofia Johansson in the 100-yard breaststroke, junior Ryann Labreche in the 1000-yard freestyle, and junior Annika Saarnak in the 100-yard butterfly, the 100- and 100-yard free style.

“The girls swam amazing,” stated UM swimming head coach Christie Shefchunas, according to hurricanesports.com. “We had so many great swims today and I think it truly set us up for a great season.”

The team will next swim in Fort Myers, Fla. For a tri-meet against Florida Gulf Coast and ACC rival Florida State.

Women’s Volleyball

On Friday, the Canes fell to ACC rival Duke University 3-0 away at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C. This is Miami’s fourth ACC loss.

Miami will next play on Friday, Oct. 16 at Boston College at 7 p.m.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...