Sports Briefs

Football

Hurricanesports.com is reporting that this season has proven to be one of the most successful for television ratings for the football team. They have played in four of ESPN’s top six most viewed games in history. This year’s Miami vs. FSU rivalry game was the third most highly viewed football game ever.

Cross Country

The Hurricanes participated in the Walt Disney World Cross Country Classic at Disney’s Wide World of Sports Complex in Orlando, Fla. The men’s team sent a seven runners to the competition, a season-high. Junior Charles Michel finished ranked at No. 18. For the women, sophomore Ana Bona finished in 24th place.

Women’s Swimming and Diving

The swimming and diving  team began their season at Atlanta this past Saturday with a 0-3 record, falling to Western Kentucky, Clemson and Georgia Tech. No divers went to the meet, and the Canes lost many points in the final score, even after first place finishes by freshman Sofia Johansson in the 100-yard breaststroke, junior Ryann Labreche in the 1000-yard freestyle, and junior Annika Saarnak in the 100-yard butterfly, the 100- and 100-yard free style.

“The girls swam amazing,” stated UM swimming head coach Christie Shefchunas, according to hurricanesports.com. “We had so many great swims today and I think it truly set us up for a great season.”

The team will next swim in Fort Myers, Fla. For a tri-meet against Florida Gulf Coast and ACC rival Florida State.

Women’s Volleyball

On Friday, the Canes fell to ACC rival Duke University 3-0 away at Cameron Indoor Stadium in Durham, N.C. This is Miami’s fourth ACC loss.

Miami will next play on Friday, Oct. 16 at Boston College at 7 p.m.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...