“Marvel” at Disney’s new possibilities

Alexander Rafuls, Contributing Columnist

Ladies and gentleman, the folks at Disney are geniuses.

Realizing that not everyone enjoys television shows about country singers with multiple personality disorders and witches that can’t act, Disney has purchased the most badass company around: Marvel.

This purchase is one of the most intelligent decisions that Disney has made in the last twenty years. Disney can win over not just a stronger male audience, but also the comic book audience, which has recently been growing thanks to the vast amount of film adaptations over the past five years (such as Beetle Bailey: World War Snooze).

Furthermore, we may see some classic Disney shows come back, reinterpreted by Marvel. Imagine this scenario: The screen goes black, followed by scenes of dirty city streets. A raspy voice begins narrating.

“It has been twenty years since they have fought crime together, and the city is no longer safe. Now, with the threat of annihilation looming overhead, two former partners must stop evil once again… CH-CH-CH-CHIP AND DALE! RESCUE RANGERS! CH-CH-CH-CHIP AND DALE! WHEN THERE’S DANGER!” …That theme song is just so darn catchy. And while this may not be the most realistic scenario, I would at least hope for some Disney Marvel crossovers (such as “Goofy and Venom Visit the Doctor”).

Indeed, Disney has bought a golden goose. With one of the greatest creative teams backing his company, Mickey Mouse can continue to sit on his golden throne and laugh as the world dumps money at his doorstep.

On a more serious note, one has to wonder what the repercussions of this decision will be. For example, while Disney is respecting the film rights of all Marvel movies currently in existence, what will happen to Universal Studio’s Islands of Adventure? Will they renew their contract or will they change the theme of Marvel Island to something more generic? I certainly don’t want to go on a ride called “The Adventures of Spider-Dude” or “The Incredible Muscular Guy” rollercoaster. While some struggles will certainly result, I am extremely excited to see what Disney does with its new property.

Alexander Rafuls is a senior majoring in Pre-Med English. He may be contacted at arafuls@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Rafuls

Contributing Columnist

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...