Football

FAMU vs. UM Report Card

Quarterback: B –

Jacory Harris only played the first half but made two ill-advised interceptions which simply cannot happen against an inferior team like FAMU. It was great to see him connect with his old high school teammate Tommy Streeter. A.J. Highsmith got his feet wet and looked comfortable in the offense although he was playing with the second string. He finished 3-for-3 with 38 yards passing.

Running Backs: A +

So Damien Berry dominated in something else other than the spring game. The fifth-string player saw his first action as running back and made a huge splash. He ran for 165 yards despite just 14 carries. He tacked on many yards after the first hit. Lee Chambers and Mike James also filled in nicely for injured Graig Cooper who was out with a lower extremity injury.

Wide Receivers/Tight Ends: A –

Leonard Hankerson continued to haul in some tough catches. Aldarius Johnson had an immediate impact on the Canes opening drive but was seen walking off the field in a sling nursing his sour right shoulder. Tommy Streeter made his first career catch.

Offensive Line: A

Harris was sacked twice but the first and second string offensive line opened up huge gaps in the run game for the second consecutive week. Credit must be given to offensive line coach Jeff Stoutland.

Defensive Line: B+

Joe Joseph is a renaissance man. He had a team-high 3.5 tackles for a loss. The Canes had three sacks a team and held FAMU to just 3.4 yards per carry. There were numerous offside penalties.

Line Backers: B+

It was odd to see Arthur Brown not get playing time even when the game was a blowout. Jordan Futch made an impact has he had some electrifying hits.

Seconday: C+

Kudos to Brandon Harris for UM’s lone interception but there were more opportunities to be had. Too many times defensive backs dropped balls that hit them in the numbers. Sam Shields did look a lot better.

Special Teams: A+

Thearon Collier added a 61-yard punt return for a touchdown. Travis Benjamin had nice returns. Alex Uribe had booming kicks. Matt Bosher made his PATs and field goals. FAMU specialist LeRoy Vann was a non factor

Coaching: A

Randy Shannon managed the game properly and the Canes did not over look this weak opponent. He substituted players in properly and gave the second and third string a fair chance.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

When the 2018 recruiting cycle came to an end in February, Miami, Florida and Florida State all fini ...

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...