Soccer

Canes tame Tigers

The Hurricanes (7-6, 2-2) defeated the Clemson Tigers (3-10, 0-5) 2-0 Thursday night in front of a crowd of more than 500 at Cobb Stadium.

The Canes were playing in special pink jerseys that will be auctioned off online to benefit breast cancer charities. Aside from the money from the auction, over $1000 was collected at the game thanks to generous donations from fans.

“I think it’s something that is extremely important because there were people on the team that had been affected,” head coach Tricia Taliaferro said. “As women, we have that responsibility to each other to try and help each other and I think it’s fantastic that the fans came out.”

Junior Brittney Steinbruch opened up the scoring in the 16th minute with a 15-yard shot from outside the box through two defenders into the bottom left-hand corner. It was her third goal of the season.

“It was important to win tonight with the whole breast cancer awareness,” Steinbruch said. “It was awesome that we got a win.”

Both teams played a quick, aggressive game with freshman Ashlee Burt getting a cautionary yellow card in the 12th minute and freshman Callie Cavanaugh getting the same in the 79th minute for the Tigers.

Freshman Jordan Roseboro and senior Beverly Goebel dominated the midfield against the Clemson players recovering the ball and creating momentum up field.

Roseboro was great recovering balls at all points of the field for the Canes, clearly more comfortable playing further back.

“I feel a lot more comfortable there,” Roseboro said. “I feel like I can contribute a lot more playing back and getting the balls for my teammates and getting more opportunities.”

Goebel was able to dribble past the Clemson players to set up dangerous plays up top. She was rewarded with a goal in the 47th minute. Steinbruch fed a ball to Goebel who lobbed the ball over the incoming Clemson goalie for a goal.

“The team worked hard in order to get me there and Brittney gave me a good ball,” Goebel said. “It always starts from the back. I just got lucky. It came from my team first.”

Sophomore goalie Vikki Alonzo kept the Canes in the lead with a couple of high-risk saves in the first half coming from defensive mistakes. She had four saves in the game.

The Hurricanes next face Duke on Thursday in Durham, North Carolina at 7 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

[kml_flashembed movie=”http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/swf/slideshow.swf” height=”437″ width=”602″ fvars=”xmlfile=http://ssp.themiamihurricane.com/images.php?album=83″ base=”.” allowfullscreen=”true” wmode=”transparent” /]

Debora Rubi

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterile Achille involved herself in many activitie ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce a fou ...

University of Miami women's volleyball player Brooke McDermott is an active member in the Hurri ...