Football

Canes not Rattled

Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

Alex Broadwell // The Miami Hurricane

What trap game?

The University of Miami Hurricanes defeated Florida A&M 48-16 Saturday night at Land Shark Stadium in front of 47,859. FAMU (4-1) scored a field goal on its opening drive but Miami (4-1) would respond by scoring on five of its first six possessions.

Sophomore quarterback Jacory Harris finished the evening 16-for-24 with 217 yards passing and two touchdowns. He also threw two ill-advised interceptions as he only played the first half. True freshman A.J. Highsmith saw his first collegiate action and went 3-for-3 with 38 yards passing.

Highsmith had an easy job handing the ball off to fifth-string running back, junior Damien Berry. Berry, the spring game MVP, rushed for a career-high 165 yards on just 14 carries.

“The o-line was blocking great,” said Berry, who was one of six different Canes to score a touchdown. “I thank the coaches for everything they have done to get me to this point and prepare me to be ready to play in the game.”

Redshirt freshman Tommy Streeter led all receivers with three catches for 55 yards.

Sophomore Thearon Collier returned a 61-yard punt for a touchdown. It was UM’s first punt return that resulted in a score since junior Graig Cooper returned one 66 yards against Charleston Southern in the season opener last year.

The Canes play the University of Central Florida on Saturday night at 7:30 p.m.

Justin Antweil may be cotacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...