Best of Miami

Best of Miami Part 4

Miami’s Best: Gay Club

Located in the heart of Downtown Miami’s entertainment district, Discotekka welcomes gay and lesbian guests to party in their alcohol-friendly environment every night of the week. The club features the best drag shows in town with special guests Poison Ivy, Vegas Dion and TP Lords. When things start to get cozy, the club has a separate space called “The Forbidden Room” complete with Japanese décor, exclusive booths, a DJ booth and a full bar. Not only are beer, wine and liquor legally served 24 hours a day, but the club features special nights such as Lust Fridays and unique themed parties.

Miami’s Best: Thai/Sushi Restaurant

Looking for quality Thai and Japanese cuisine, but don’t want to travel far? Moon Thai & Japanese is your answer, sitting on US-1, directly across from campus. Their extensive separate Thai and Japanese menus offer affordable prices and quality food for college students. On their Web site, Moon now offers the option of ordering online, with the food ready to be picked up at the restaurant in a small amount of time. Aside from their Coral Gables location, Moon also has new locations in Weston, Coral Springs and West Kendall.

Miami’s Best: Grocery Store

With locations near Sunset, LeJeune Road, Douglas Road and the Dadeland area, Publix has proven to be the most quality, affordable and convenient grocery store in Miami. While Publix is no Whole Foods, where every product is organic, it does offer Greenwise foods, which are organic and all-natural foods for a healthy lifestyle. Whether you’re searching for your weekly eats, a beautiful bouquet for a loved one, or freshly made subs, sushi or baked goods, Publix is the place to find it.

Miami’s Best: Bookstore

Barnes & Noble is the bookstore of choice because of their wide selection and variety of books, their music selection (only in select stores), their games and gifts and their coffee at the café. B&N has locations in Sunset, Miracle Mile, West Kendall and Biscayne, so even if you’re commuting from off campus, picking up a good read is always only a few miles away.

Miami’s Best Straight Club: Karu&Y

Looking for a fancy night out on the town? Located on NW 14th Street, Karu&Y is open every Thursday through Saturday night. For dancing, make your way into the Buddha Club and the Buddha Gardens, featuring a full bar, a stage, and a DJ booth. This state-of-the-art venue boasts gourmet food, dancing, drinking and celebrity appearances, capturing the true spirit of the Miami party scene.

Miami’s Best Car Wash: Totally Touchless (Purple)

If your ride needs a good clean, the Totally Touchless Carwash is the place to go. Along with their attentive staff and convenient location on US-1, Totally Touchless offers hand car washes, waxes, and even specialty truck wash equipment for those who need it. Perfect for those with busy schedules, the carwash is open from 8:00-7:00 on weekdays and 7:00-8:00 on weekends.

Miami’s Best Salon/Spa: Biltmore Spa

Travel across a bamboo bridge to arrive at the Biltmore Salon and Spa, which has twelve separate treatment rooms, a lounge and beautiful views. After receiving a facial, body treatment, massage or a visit to the hair salon, guests are invited to use its signature feature- a 23,000 square-foot swimming pool, which is the largest hotel pool in the United States.

Carey Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

That nation-leading, 44-year NCAA tournament streak is not over yet. One swing of the bat on Saturda ...

View photos from the Virginia Tech at Miami Saturday, May 20, 20017, in Coral Galbes, Fla. … Click t ...

Here was a man who they aspired to be. Here was a millionaire. A local legend. An NFL star. A man wh ...

The Miami Hurricanes, fueled by exceptional pitching in both ends of a doubleheader, refuse to surre ...

Miles Wilson has narrowed his choices to Miami and Auburn, and will announce his decision after visi ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

Speakers urge UM’s graduating students to use their skills and talents to make a difference. ...

Thursday’s graduate degree ceremony was the largest in UM history ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team had a 13-stroke improvement on Day 2 at ...

Game times have been set for the 2017 Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship, and sixth-see ...

The University of Miami women's golf team waited around for nearly three hours to begin Day 2 c ...

Edgar Michelangeli capped the regular season with a walk-off, three-run home run, as Miami earned it ...

The No. 13-ranked University of Miami women's golf team opened competition Friday at the NCAA C ...