Benjamin takes title of ‘Best Hair’

Travis Benjamin sports dreads on and off the playing field. He was voted "Best Hair" by his teammates.  Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

Travis Benjamin sports dreads on and off the playing field. He was voted "Best Hair" by his teammates. Brittney Bomnin // Photo Editor

With four consecutive nationally televised games to start the season, the Miami Hurricanes spent plenty of time in the spotlight showing off their young talent.

But just as important was the opportunity for them to showcase their trademark hairdos.

After asking 16 players and official team barber Steven Rivera about the best head of hair on the team, it was sophomore wide receiver Travis Benjamin’s long dreads that look the prize.

“It feels good because you have players come up to you and be like, ‘Man, you’ve got to cut your hair so I can have the longest hair on the team,’” the Belle Glade, Fla., native said. “I just sit there and laugh. Everybody wants to have dreads now.”

Benjamin said that he hasn’t cut his hair since the eighth grade, but is considering cutting it next year if an opposing player tackles him by his dreads.

That’s something that has yet to happen in a game, though.

“He’s the only person I’ve seen who doesn’t get pulled by his hair,” sophomore linebacker Sean Spence said. “It’s probably because he’s moving too fast. He also ties it too.”

The wide receiver’s signature dreads are pulled back in a “ponytail” by an orange ACE band. Teammates like sophomore cornerback Brandon Harris take advantage of Benjamin’s promise during practice.

“He says he’ll never cut his hair so we play with it on purpose and grab on it when hanging on,” he said.

So who does Benjamin believe poses the biggest competition to steal his crown?

“Olivier Vernon has a nice mohawk. Every game, every week, he’ll have a different kind of style of mohawk so if I had to do that, I’d get a mohawk,” he said.

On the other hand, Benjamin knows for certain that he would never sample junior running back Graig Cooper’s and freshman safety Vaughn Telemaque’s blonde streaks.

“I guess they think it’s a certain kind of style,” he said. “I won’t ever do blonde.”

While the high-profile position players seem to care more about their hair, others like senior offensive lineman Jason Fox get a kick out of their teammates’ concern.

“I’ll give it to Travis Benjamin because he looks like Jar Jar Binks. If I score that many touchdowns I’ll put a wig on or something,” said Fox, who caught a touchdown on a trick play during the Florida State game last year.

Harris, who has an interception and a league-high 10 pass breakups so far this season, doesn’t mind that it takes some of his teammates 20 minutes to get their hair ready for games.

“I know who’s crazy about his hair the most: Travis. He loves his hair,” he said. “I don’t care what kind of hairdo he has. As long as he keeps performing like he’s performing, it’s fine with me.”

Poll results

Travis Benjamin: 5

Olivier Vernon: 4

Graig Cooper: 1

Levi Paalua: 1

Jacory Harris: 1

Vaughn Telemaque: 1

Ryan Hill: 1

Undecided: 3

To vote for your favorite football player hairdo, click on “Polls” under the “Extras” tab on The Miami Hurricane’s homepage.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Benjamin takes title of ‘Best Hair’”

1. Fowler says:

The Big O has it going (#35) he needs that mohawk for more aerodynamics.

2. W Hester says:

Wheren are the photos?? (of the other guys). With & without helmets?

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...