Volleyball

Struggling on court

Adam Berger

Adam Berger

Last year the University of Miami volleyball team finished with a solid overall record of 26-6. They narrowly missed receiving an at-large bid to the NCAA tournament, which would have been a first since 2002.

This year the Hurricanes (9-6, 2-3) have already matched their loss total for all of last season. They currently stand at a mediocre 9-6 and have endured a handful of heartbreaking defeats.

To be clear, the Hurricanes are not playing bad volleyball. Overall, their play has been solid. Sophomore outside hitter Lane Carico is having another good year after her brilliant freshman campaign. She was just named ACC Player of the Week after her fantastic play last weekend in two thrilling five-set matches. Redshirt junior Lici McGee and sophomore Ali Becker have both had a positive impact in the front court.

The problem for Miami has been that, when a game needs to be closed out, they struggle. Twice already this year they have blown a match in which they led the contest 2-0. They are just 2-3 as a team in five set matches.

It’s a trend that the coaching staff is trying to fix, and surely a topic that was brought up during a 30-minute, closed-door locker room chat that followed a bad loss to Clemson.

This past Sunday against Georgia Tech, head coach Nicole Lantagne Welch’s words of “encouragement” seem to have resonated with her team.

The Hurricanes had a chance to close out the game in the fourth set, but lost a tough battle that went in to extra points. In the fifth set, a place that has troubled Miami all year, they prevailed in convincing fashion, winning the deciding frame 15-9.

Miami should be able to build upon the dramatic win and turn their season around. There is too much talent on this team to assume otherwise. A trip to the NCAA tournament is probably out of the question, but don’t tell that to these Hurricanes.

Moving forward Miami simply needs to be more consistent and get healthy in a hurry.

The orange and green have been without junior setter Katie Gallagher and senior outside hitter Genny Mayhew due to injury. Gallagher has missed seven games while Mayhew has missed four games.

Lantange Welch has not given a timetable for their returns, but the sooner they get that veteran presence back on to the court the better.  Their leadership is irreplaceable and has certainly been missed.

The begin a four-game road trip tonight as they face Wake Forest at 7 p.m.

Adam Berger may be contacted at aberger@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Berger

Staff Sports Writer

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

The Brazilian judge whose office spearheaded a massive corruption and bribery investigation said tha ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

The Hurricanes' rotation saved its best for last. ...

Sean Grossman broke the 30-minute mark to set a school record in the men's 10,000m at the Virgi ...

Edgerrin James, Reggie Wayne, Kellen Winslow II, Jon Beason and Lamar Thomas were among the football ...

Miami came up short in Game 1 of a doubleheader Saturday afternoon, falling to visiting Pitt, 3-0, a ...

Canes shoot 2-under on back nine; Weber third overall at 2-under 70. ...