Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor: India article spot-on

I read the piece published about the prejudices against India, and I have to say that I was truly impressed and pleased that this article came out.

I feel as though there has been a “Slumdog Millionaire effect” that has arisen after the movie came out, resulting in jaded views on India and Indians. After seeing the movie, many people came up to me and asked me which slum in India I lived in and which form of “Indian” I spoke. First of all, not all Indians live in slums, which the article in your paper pointed out, and Indian is a nationality, not a language. It would be like if an Indian director made a film called White Trash Winner and everyone in India thought all white people lived in trailers.

A lot of people don’t understand that we have to walk a mile in people’s shoes before we judge. Kudos on the article.

-Chhaya Nene, sophomore

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...