The voice of the students

Self-branded as “The Voice of the University of Miami,” 90.5 WVUM ups the ante this semester, adding a slew of new specialty shows to its programming lineup. At least 13 shows, ranging from reggae and funk to jazz and hardcore will round out their special programming for the fall.

A specialty show on WVUM is one to three hours of regular weekly radio programming that caters to a specific musical genre or niche. Any WVUM DJ can apply for his or her own specialty show after completing at least one semester as a regular rotation deejay.

Returning to the specialty lineup this fall are a number of established shows, among them Sounds Imported, a two-hour block of world music featuring a different country each week, and Radio Riot!, a punk rock hour featuring bands like Streetlight Manifesto, the Queers and Against All Authority.

WVUM DJs Aleah Axiom and Derrick Utopic began Radio Riot! last fall and take pride in being the only exclusively punk rock show in south Florida. “I’m so happy watching its fan base increase,” said junior Axiom of the show’s progress over the last year. “It’s my little radio baby that is now a toddler.”

The new specialty shows this semester help to further establish WVUM as a collaborative voice of the university. Expanding to include regular reggae, jam band, hip hop, soul/funk and lo-fi programming, the current specialty show lineup has something to offer for listeners across a wide range of musical tastes.

New to the schedule this semester, senior Elena Chiriboga hosts Meat Whiplash, a lo-fi smorgasbord of power-pop, punk, garage, and psyche which airs Wednesdays from 8 to 10 p.m.

Like many of the specialty shows on WVUM, Meat Whiplash is significant because it brings something unique to the Miami community.

“Some people tell me they have been waiting for a show this like in Miami because no other radio station locally plays all the rarities that I do on my show,” Chiriboga said. “I’ve been contacted by local individuals asking if they can do guest spots on the show and bands asking if they can play live.”

The Miami New Times selected WVUM as best radio station for its 2009 “Best of Miami” feature, asking, “Where else but a student-run radio station are you going to hear everything from Brahms to Wilco?” This semester, with an even more diverse lineup of specialized programming, the Voice continues its stride toward living up to its name.

Tune in to the Voice on 90.5 FM or stream it online any time at www.wvum.org.

Here’s a list of all the current WVUM specialty shows and their times:

Vibration Nation – Reggae – Sun 4-6 p.m.

Sounds Imported – World – Sun 6-8 p.m.

Sunday Night Live – Jam Band – Sun 8-10 p.m.

Jazz Canvas – Jazz – Sun 10-12 p.m.

Vamos a la Playa – Disco – Mon 5-7 p.m.

Blogdrop – Featured Music Blogs – Mon 7-9 p.m,

Pure Imagination – Original Storytelling – Mon 9-10 p.m.

Hip Hop Shop – Hip-hop – Mon 10 p.m.-12 a.m.

Freedom for the Funk – Soul/Funk – Tue 8-10 p.m.

Locals Only – Local Music – Tue 10-11 p.m.

The Underground – House, Drum & Base, Dubstep – Tue 11 p.m.-12 a.m.

Meat Whiplash – Lo-fi – Wed 8-10 p.m.

Radio Riot! – Punk – Wed 10-11 p.m.

All Things Core – Hardcore – Wed 11 p,m.-12 a.m.

Electric Kingdom – Live DJ Sets – Thu 7-9 p.m,

All Request – Request music – Fri 3-6 p.m.

Falyn Freyman

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...