New iPhone app makes Zipcar easy

As of Sept. 29, 2009, iPhone or iPod touch users no longer need to visit zipcar.com or call the company by phone to reserve a car.

Instead, they can simply download Zipcar’s new app, which allows users to find and reserve Zipcars with just a few touches of their iPhone or iPod.

Now available in the iTunes store, the app is free of cost and available to both members and non-members of Zipcar, the world’s largest car sharing service.

The University of Miami currently has nine Zipcars available to students, located in front of the Wellness Center, the Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges, and at the Miller School of Medicine.

“Going online could be difficult and if you need to reserve on the go it would be easier,” sophomore and former Zipcar user Tory Gilliam said.

Those who are not paying members of the Zipcar service can use the app to see which cars are available for use in their area.

Paying members can not only reserve cars using the app but also sort cars by time available, car type and model, as well as locate his/her reserved car by honking its horn with a touch of the screen.

The App even allows members to lock and unlock reserved cars.

According to the iTunes App Store, the Zipcar app currently has an average rating of 3 out of 5 stars, based on over 2,000 user ratings. It is only compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch OS 3.0.

“Like so many urban dwellers today, more than 25 percent of Zipcar members live their life from their iPhones. The new Zipcar App. . .allows millions of iPhone and iPod touch users to have on-the-go access to Zipcars around the globe,” Scott Griffith, chairman and CEO of Zipcar, said in a press release.

Kari Scharf

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Sophomore Evan McKendry rebounded with a dazzling start, and No. 24 Miami handed No. 1 Florida its f ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...