New iPhone app makes Zipcar easy

As of Sept. 29, 2009, iPhone or iPod touch users no longer need to visit zipcar.com or call the company by phone to reserve a car.

Instead, they can simply download Zipcar’s new app, which allows users to find and reserve Zipcars with just a few touches of their iPhone or iPod.

Now available in the iTunes store, the app is free of cost and available to both members and non-members of Zipcar, the world’s largest car sharing service.

The University of Miami currently has nine Zipcars available to students, located in front of the Wellness Center, the Mahoney-Pearson residential colleges, and at the Miller School of Medicine.

“Going online could be difficult and if you need to reserve on the go it would be easier,” sophomore and former Zipcar user Tory Gilliam said.

Those who are not paying members of the Zipcar service can use the app to see which cars are available for use in their area.

Paying members can not only reserve cars using the app but also sort cars by time available, car type and model, as well as locate his/her reserved car by honking its horn with a touch of the screen.

The App even allows members to lock and unlock reserved cars.

According to the iTunes App Store, the Zipcar app currently has an average rating of 3 out of 5 stars, based on over 2,000 user ratings. It is only compatible with the iPhone and iPod touch OS 3.0.

“Like so many urban dwellers today, more than 25 percent of Zipcar members live their life from their iPhones. The new Zipcar App. . .allows millions of iPhone and iPod touch users to have on-the-go access to Zipcars around the globe,” Scott Griffith, chairman and CEO of Zipcar, said in a press release.

Kari Scharf

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

Behind a historic performance from senior Olga Strantzali, the University of Miami volleyball team b ...

The Miami women's tennis team opened play Friday at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Pr ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...