Ditch the “water-cooler gossip”

(NOTE: *Evan Seaman, Contributing Columnist)

For the last time, and I really hope the last, I can confirm Kanye West is an inconsiderate jerk. He robbed a thriving teenage star of her one (really, just one?) night of glory. Let’s not lose sleep over it though.

Also, this just in: people don’t enjoy feeling the heat of the poor economy. Someone is going to win the upcoming football game, and someone is going to lose. Could I be any more generic, standoffish and disposable?

Let’s cool it with spreading “water-cooler gossip.” It’s fine if that’s the silly, trivial talk of the day amongst a few friends, but local radio station affiliates should not devote two hours of airtime to caller feedback about Kanye. That’s the type of thing for which we have Twitter and Facebook. I can scan others’ stances on insignificant matters and quickly close out the browser if I find myself yawning over the content, but I can’t turn my ears off from the blaring radio at the pool.

The Internet and media outlets are great sources for receiving information before it becomes ubiquitous, but it’s been taken to an extreme. I am no fan of Kanye’s actions either, but I’ll continue to live without being flustered in the slightest. Whether you wake up actively deciding to boycott the rest of his work is irrelevant; he’s been soaring at the top of the charts for years.

The media knows what makes you tick and what makes you groan. Any publicity is good publicity today. So how can we defeat it as a group of conscious, intelligent human beings? Advocate indifference; it’s the best way to make the high tides of “water cooler gossip” pass.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in economics. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Sea Secrets: Acclaimed Journalist Talks Sea Level-Rise ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...

After capturing its opening series with Rutgers, No. 24 Miami continues a season-opening, seven-game ...

The latest edition of Quick Hits introduces middle blocker Bridget Wallenberger ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team finished ninth at the 2018 Allstate Sug ...