Bigger is better, studies say

These days, it seems that you can’t pick up a single magazine without reading a reference to weight loss promising a more attractive body.

Is there any hope for overweight women?

“There is speculation that the number of ‘fat admirers’ is growing,” University of Miami lecturer Dr. Franklin Foote of the psychology department said.

A recent study by researchers in the United Kingdom’s University of Westminster and the University of Newcastle supports the existence of these so called “fat admirers.”

The study found that 47 out of 111 men reported attraction to heavier partners. Their ages ranged from 18-67.

The men rated the attractiveness of ten women pictured in tight leotards varying from emaciated to clinically obese.

Previous studies have shown that “fat admirers” make informed judgments about attractiveness independent of health perceptions and sometimes these men are on the heavier side themselves.

It was no surprise then, that the “fat admirers” in the study preferred the photograph of the heavier woman. The control group rated skinnier women as more attractive.

Surprisingly, though, “fat admirers” also gave higher scores than the control group when rating the emaciated figures.

“This might suggest that the ‘fat admirers’ reject societal standards of preferred weight in general,” Foote said.

Irene Daboin

The first University of Miami player to wear the coveted turnover chain will no longer play football ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...

Highlighted by a thrilling, three-set, top-five win by sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba, the Miami w ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...