United Way close to $17,000 goal at UM

Many students like to show their support for UM on gameday by buying a t-shirt at the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership Development.

More importantly, they are showing their support for United Way. These purchases have raised over $15,000 for this organization.

“Our campaign goal for this year is $17,000, so to raise $15,000 in the first month of school is an amazing result,” junior Deborah Perez, UM’s United Way student campaign coordinator, said.

The money goes to various South Florida charity organizations, such as the Salvation Army and the Hearing and Speech Center of Florida.

For each dollar that UM students contribute to United Way, this organization matches it with $2.41. Therefore, the $15,000 UM students have raised is really worth $36,000.

“It’s great that we’re given an opportunity to support United Way while still showing school spirit, but most students buy the t-shirts because they are pretty cheap and it’s the gameday t-shirt,” Christina Echagarruga, a sophomore who bought a shirt, said.

Perez feels very passionately about the tangible difference that donating to United Way makes in peoples’ lives, including her own.

According to Perez, most of her childhood had been difficult with family complications that eventually led to her and her siblings being raised solely by her grandfather.

She recalls that it wasn’t until she was helped by the Big Brothers Big Sisters of America, one of the community organizations that United Way is very supportive of with its donations, that her life began to turn around in a positive way.

UM students can get involved with United Way at the first meeting on Tuesday night at 9 p.m. in UC 245.

Donation can be made by visiting www.firstgiving.com/deborahperezlivesunited.

Adam Weinstein

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...