Soccer

Soccer falls to No. 5 FSU, drop to 1-2 in ACC play

Midfielder Brittney Steinbruch heads the ball during the soccer match at Florida State University held last Sunday in Tallahassee, FL. Melina Vastola // FSView

The Hurricanes fell to No. 5 ranked Florida State by a score of 4-1 Sunday in Tallahassee, falling to 1-2 in ACC play.

The Seminole offense scored two goals in the first five minutes of play: a throw-in cross from sophomore Tori Huster and a second shot to the top left post by freshman Ines Jaurena off an assist from sophomore Casey Short.

In the 29th minute sophomore Tiffany McCarty, the Seminole’s leading scorer, put her own rebound in from five yards to make the score 3-0.

The Hurricanes’ first response came from sophomore Julianne Rickers with her second goal of the season with a shot from 30 yards to make the score 3-1 in the 44th minute. Junior Brittney Steinbruch got close to scoring for the ‘Canes with a shot that hit the crossbar in the 55th minute. She led the team with 5 shots.

“I think we did well in responding to the goals,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We had confidence to make a push and have big chances in the second half.”

In the 77th minute Seminole sophomore Jessica Price scored a goal from a shot deflected by McCarty.

“I think we need to focus on getting momentum,” said Taliaferro. “We’ve played well, but we’ve just a couple mental breakdowns that have created losses.”

The Hurricanes next face Clemson University on Oct. 9 in Cobbs Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...