Soccer

Soccer falls to No. 5 FSU, drop to 1-2 in ACC play

Midfielder Brittney Steinbruch heads the ball during the soccer match at Florida State University held last Sunday in Tallahassee, FL. Melina Vastola // FSView

The Hurricanes fell to No. 5 ranked Florida State by a score of 4-1 Sunday in Tallahassee, falling to 1-2 in ACC play.

The Seminole offense scored two goals in the first five minutes of play: a throw-in cross from sophomore Tori Huster and a second shot to the top left post by freshman Ines Jaurena off an assist from sophomore Casey Short.

In the 29th minute sophomore Tiffany McCarty, the Seminole’s leading scorer, put her own rebound in from five yards to make the score 3-0.

The Hurricanes’ first response came from sophomore Julianne Rickers with her second goal of the season with a shot from 30 yards to make the score 3-1 in the 44th minute. Junior Brittney Steinbruch got close to scoring for the ‘Canes with a shot that hit the crossbar in the 55th minute. She led the team with 5 shots.

“I think we did well in responding to the goals,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We had confidence to make a push and have big chances in the second half.”

In the 77th minute Seminole sophomore Jessica Price scored a goal from a shot deflected by McCarty.

“I think we need to focus on getting momentum,” said Taliaferro. “We’ve played well, but we’ve just a couple mental breakdowns that have created losses.”

The Hurricanes next face Clemson University on Oct. 9 in Cobbs Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

After jumping three spots from No. 10 to No. 7 last week in the Amway Coaches Poll (one spot better ...

University of Miami weak-side linebacker Michael Pinckney is definitely old-school Miami Hurricane. ...

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he was locked in. ...

Kolby Bird had a career-high 21 kills, but the Hurricanes dropped a five-set battle to Notre Dame on ...

The Miami soccer team recognized its four seniors Sunday afternoon and then dropped a hard-fought 2- ...