Soccer

Soccer falls to No. 5 FSU, drop to 1-2 in ACC play

Midfielder Brittney Steinbruch heads the ball during the soccer match at Florida State University held last Sunday in Tallahassee, FL. Melina Vastola // FSView

The Hurricanes fell to No. 5 ranked Florida State by a score of 4-1 Sunday in Tallahassee, falling to 1-2 in ACC play.

The Seminole offense scored two goals in the first five minutes of play: a throw-in cross from sophomore Tori Huster and a second shot to the top left post by freshman Ines Jaurena off an assist from sophomore Casey Short.

In the 29th minute sophomore Tiffany McCarty, the Seminole’s leading scorer, put her own rebound in from five yards to make the score 3-0.

The Hurricanes’ first response came from sophomore Julianne Rickers with her second goal of the season with a shot from 30 yards to make the score 3-1 in the 44th minute. Junior Brittney Steinbruch got close to scoring for the ‘Canes with a shot that hit the crossbar in the 55th minute. She led the team with 5 shots.

“I think we did well in responding to the goals,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We had confidence to make a push and have big chances in the second half.”

In the 77th minute Seminole sophomore Jessica Price scored a goal from a shot deflected by McCarty.

“I think we need to focus on getting momentum,” said Taliaferro. “We’ve played well, but we’ve just a couple mental breakdowns that have created losses.”

The Hurricanes next face Clemson University on Oct. 9 in Cobbs Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

One day left for the youngsters to show University of Miami coach Mark Richt what they can do. One d ...

Former Miami Norland High star Zach Johnson is coming home for his final year of college basketball. ...

They have been feted and adored for years by football fans from coast to coast. But legends Frank Go ...

Remember that “hit list’’ the University of Miami football team had last year? Florida State, North ...

One is a former NBA first-rounder who played 13 seasons after starring for the Miami Hurricanes in t ...

The director of the University of Miami's Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, who passed away Ap ...

Business Professor Patricia Abril, and Trustee Stuart Miller receive Faculty Senate's highest h ...

Participants of the ninth annual Walk a Mile in Her Shoes event on campus pledge to help end sexual ...

A Faculty Staff Assistance Program dance therapy class gets employees on their feet and focused on w ...

A University of Miami political scientist explores what a transition of power in Cuba means for its ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team notched its 10th ACC win of the season with a 5-2 road tri ...

Due to inclement weather expected in the region Sunday, the University of Miami baseball program ann ...

The University of Miami baseball team will host visiting Pittsburgh for a three-game series beginnin ...

Johnson, Mack and McGusty join Hurricanes' program for 2018-19 season. ...

Kasey Crider was named Miami volleyball's associate head coach after three seasons on head coac ...