Soccer

Soccer falls to No. 5 FSU, drop to 1-2 in ACC play

Midfielder Brittney Steinbruch heads the ball during the soccer match at Florida State University held last Sunday in Tallahassee, FL. Melina Vastola // FSView

The Hurricanes fell to No. 5 ranked Florida State by a score of 4-1 Sunday in Tallahassee, falling to 1-2 in ACC play.

The Seminole offense scored two goals in the first five minutes of play: a throw-in cross from sophomore Tori Huster and a second shot to the top left post by freshman Ines Jaurena off an assist from sophomore Casey Short.

In the 29th minute sophomore Tiffany McCarty, the Seminole’s leading scorer, put her own rebound in from five yards to make the score 3-0.

The Hurricanes’ first response came from sophomore Julianne Rickers with her second goal of the season with a shot from 30 yards to make the score 3-1 in the 44th minute. Junior Brittney Steinbruch got close to scoring for the ‘Canes with a shot that hit the crossbar in the 55th minute. She led the team with 5 shots.

“I think we did well in responding to the goals,” said head coach Tricia Taliaferro. “We had confidence to make a push and have big chances in the second half.”

In the 77th minute Seminole sophomore Jessica Price scored a goal from a shot deflected by McCarty.

“I think we need to focus on getting momentum,” said Taliaferro. “We’ve played well, but we’ve just a couple mental breakdowns that have created losses.”

The Hurricanes next face Clemson University on Oct. 9 in Cobbs Stadium at 7:30 p.m.

Debora Rubi may be contacted at drubi@themiamihurricane.com.

Debora Rubi

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

Bruce Brown Jr. scored 19 points leading Miami to victory over NC State in Raleigh. ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, No. 19 Miami finished the day with an ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...