President Shalala is first woman to receive Dole Leadership Prize

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala accepted the 2009 Dole Leadership Prize last Monday, making her the first woman to receive the prestigious national award.

Before becoming the university’s fifth president in 2001, Shalala served as the U.S. Secretary of Health and Human Services in the Clinton administration.

In 2007 she served alongside Bob Dole, for whom the prize is named, as co-chair of the President’s Commission on Care for America’s Returning Wounded Warriors, which dealt with the growing concern over the care of American soldiers returning from war.

The next year, President George W. Bush awarded her with the Presidential Medal of Freedom, the nation’s highest civilian honor.

The Dole Leadership Prize is presented annually at the University of Kansas’ Lied Center and recognizes those who have honorably served our democracy and inspired others.

“Donna Shalala is a public servant in the truest sense of the phrase,” Bill Lacy, director of the KU’s Dole Institute of Politics, said in a UM news release announcing the award. “Her exemplary leadership in multiple government roles makes her truly deserving of the seventh Dole Leadership Prize.”

Past winners of the award include former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, former U.S. Senator Howard Baker and former President George H. W. Bush.

“It is a great honor, particularly since it reflects my work with veterans who have been injured,” Shalala said.

Megan Terilli

Online Editor

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...