Our Opinion: Ibis Ride ‘drunk bus’ no more

By 9:30 p.m. on Thursday nights, most students can be found prepping for their weekly Grove outing. With the recent reinstatement of the Ibis Ride, students no longer must worry about organizing designated drivers or pooling funds for cabs. However, it’s important not to revert to old ways of viewing the shuttle and to remember to handle your alcohol after a night when you’ve had a little too much fun.

The Ibis Ride is jokingly referred to as the “drunk bus,” although this is tongue-in-cheek. Many students simply view the shuttle as convenient transportation to Coconut Grove, allowing “pre-games” without repercussions and eliminating the need for a designated. Students see the Ibis Ride as a right, not a privilege, often boarding later in the evening completely wasted.

The shuttle’s main purpose is to provide a safe transportation alternative for students, not to complement their drinking strategies. Planning to drag your drunken behind to the bus at the end of night, barely containing yourself from vomiting, is not responsible. Handle your alcohol, learn your limit or don’t drink to the point of extreme intoxication in the first place.

Students should realize that the shuttle’s new one-strike-you’re-out policy will only help to ensure that history does not repeat itself. If intoxicated riders cause disruptions, it is fitting that they are banned from future Ibis Rides. They will not be able to ruin the service for other students who do obey the rules, hopefully ensuring the shuttle will remain a transportation option for future semesters.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a Thursday night out on the town, just do so in moderation and remember to keep it under control while on the Ibis Ride. Your fellow students will thank you, especially since no one likes vomit on their shoes.

Editorial Board

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...