Famed sexologist visits Stanford

Going into the evening, people seemed a little skeptical and even nervous.

People’s opinions varied on what to expect from something that had been advertised on boards decorated with condoms.

One group of girls said they were going in simply for the laughs, though some guys admitted to being a little curious as to what Dr. Marilyn Volker, a member of the American Board of Sexology, would say in a talk at Stanford Residential College last Wednesday.

Once inside, the awkward laughter only lasted until Volker started throwing out free condoms.

Questions that students had written as they entered were addressed, leading Volker to talk subjects ranging from fetishes to safe sex.

The doctor has been coming to speak at UM for the past 20 years.

She has already spoken at Hecht and plans to speak at Mahoney soon although she is unsure of the date.

Volker explains that coming into college, some students may never have had the opportunity to speak openly about sex or ask new questions.

“By having this dialogue with students, especially freshmen, we start a dialogue between peers that is beneficial to everyone,” she said.

She continued to explain that the most important knowledge for college students is how to protect themselves and then how to deal with problems that may still arise.

“It was just fun,” freshman Rebecca Davidson said afterward. “She was a good speaker.”

Freshman Patrick Rose acknowledged that it was informational as well as entertaining.

Pictures of herpes, HIV and genital warts certainly drew some shocked gasps and even a few people covering their eyes.

“It wasn’t anything we didn’t know before but just suddenly seeing it certainly wasn’t expected,” freshman Kira Richards said.

Gabby Gomez

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...

Hurricanes and Wolfpack face off at noon Sunday in Raleigh, N.C. ...