Football

Matchups: Miami vs. OU

Quarterback Advantage: Even

The biggest question surrounding this game is whether reigning Heisman Trophy winner Sam Bradford will play. It will be a game-time decision but if Bradford does not play, redshirt freshman Landry Jones will lead OU. Jones has put up monster numbers – 622 yards and nine touchdowns – all against Idaho State and Tulsa. If Bradford plays the advantage goes to Oklahoma, but if he does not, Jacory and the Canes get the nod.

Running backs Advantage: Oklahoma

Running backs Graig Cooper and Javarris James need to be more efficient running the ball to take pressure off Harris and the passing game. Everyone knows about the passing game for Oklahoma, but the Sooners also have a two-headed monster in Chris Brown and Demarco Murray. The two have combined for 551 all -purpose yards in the three games this season.

Wide Receiver/Tight End Advantage: Miami

Leonard Hankerson has really stepped up lately and currently leads all receivers with 186 yards. Aldarius Johnson’s possible return could be a jolt. Sooners receiver Ryan Broyles is the best receiver in the nation you have not heard of. In three games this true sophomore has 309 yards and seven touchdowns. Oklahoma is without All-American Jermaine Gresham, who is out for the year with a knee injury.

Offensive Line Advantage: Miami

The offensive line will be the key to Miami’s success against Oklahoma. OU lost four of its starting five offensive linemen from last year to the NFL Draft. The offensive line is the biggest weakness of this team and can be exploited.

Defensive Line Advantage: Oklahoma

UM’s run defense has not been much better as the Canes ranks 86th in the nation against the run. Oklahoma’s defense is only allowing opponents an average of 40 rushing yards a game. The defensive line is led by two Big 12 preseason first team selections, Gerald McCoy and Jeremy Beal.

Linebackers Advantage: Even

Collin McCarthy has stepped in nicely for the struggling Sean Spence. The linebackers have always been the heart and soul of an Oklahoma defense. So far the Sooner defense has shut out Idaho State and Tulsa.

Secondary Advantage: Oklahoma

Miami’s defense is currently ranked 89th against the pass and the inconsistency of the secondary has been the reason. OU’s secondary has four interceptions on the year and is led by Big 12 Preseason First Team defensive back Dominique Franks.

Special Teams Advantage: Miami

Graig Cooper is averaging 31 yards on kickoff returns, which is good enough for 17th-best in the nation. Ryan Broyles is a threat to return a long kick for the Sooners.

Coaching Advantage: Miami

Offensive coordinator Mark Whipple just hit a bump in the road against Va Tech. No matter what the coaches say, the rain played a huge factor in the inability of the UM offense getting in a rhythm. It is now time to see how the Hurricanes will respond after a loss. OU head coach Bob Stoops is a winner, but he has had problems with big games during his career.

Matt Reed

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...