Gender distribution differs by school

subhead: Engineering draws highest number of males, Nursing and Communications top for females.

The University of Miami’s distribution of gender remains uneven across the different schools on campus. However, the gender breakdown amongst all undergraduates is almost equal.

For the past five years, the College of Engineering’s undergraduates were 70 percent male, while the School of Communication and School of Nursing and Health Studies had over 60 percent and 90 percent females, respectively.

Even within the School of Communications, men are the majority in the motion picture major, while women dominate broadcast journalism, advertising, and public relations.

According to School of Communication Dean Sam Grogg, this reflects a national trend.

“The advertising and especially public relations professions traditionally attract more female students than male. The motion picture profession—on the production side—has traditionally been male dominated.”

“On the executive side, there is an increasing number of females,” he continued to say.

David T. Poole, director of admissions at the College of Engineering, expressed similar remarks.

“People’s perceptions become realities,” he said about students self-stereotyping themselves into a field because of their sex.

Nationally, about 82 percent of students in an engineering program are male. UM was ranked tenth in the nation for the highest percentage of female students in engineering programs, ACCORDING TO WHOM????.

“Only in the past 20 to 30 years have women entered the workforce en masse,” Poole said.

That said, he does note that the number of women in the College of Engineering is growing, citing a rising awareness of new job opportunities in construction and thinking in academic and professional circles.

“Look at how 9/11 altered ideas on building construction, or the green movement, and the importance for engineering systems to advance us to the next level. Engineers are needed to solve these problems.”

Similar remarks came from Grogg about the equalizing trend in the School of Communication.

“I think the change is primarily due to the increasing reality that the communication related professions are expanding. These related areas are important to all aspects of human endeavor and students, male and female, want to engage with communication media to change the world for the better.”

In the classrooms, however, students note little difference in experience based on gender distribution.

“I don’t mind it. I’m used to it,” Shely Benaim, the only female in the 2010 electrical engineering class, said.

Student Government Senator for the College of Engineering Omar de Leom, a senior, remarked that engineering majors “cherish” their handful of electives outside their major.

Mason Powell

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...